Where to look for a job at Ohio University

Juggling classwork, friendships and a job while going to college can be an armful. However, some students thrive on being kept busy all day. If you’re one of these people, you may be interested in looking at available places of work in the area. 

Whether you end up working for the university or at a business on State Street, there are plenty of places to look for jobs at Ohio University and in Athens. 

Campus Jobs

While living on campus, having a job that is within walking distance is one of the more convenient options. The plus of working for the university is that they are always mindful of your class schedule. During the school year, students can work up to 25 hours a week but no more than that. 

One of the more well-known student jobs is in Culinary Services. There are numerous dining halls, campus markets and cafes that offer a variety of job opportunities. With Culinary Services, all pay is based on different levels with base pay starting at $11 and going up to $16.50 per hour. 

With numerous campus buildings functioning as offices, office assistants are another high demand job. The Campus Involvement Center, the Innovation Center, Transportation and Parking Services, Baker University Center and more all utilize student office assistants. For those who have experience in customer service, this may be a place to start. 

If you’re trying to get experience working in the field that you study, consider asking professors if they need a research assistant. Some will appreciate the offer and the extra helping hand with the research. Plus, if it’s within your field of study, you gain first hand experience researching in your field. 

The university also has need-based opportunities such as Federal Work Study and the Program to Aid Career Exploration (PACE). Any other campus jobs that may be available currently are listed at www.ohiouniversityjobs.com along with application requirements. 

Off Campus Jobs

If working for OU isn’t up your ally, there are numerous opportunities for part-time work in Athens. Athens hosts a plethora of businesses including restaurants, cafes, retail spaces and more. It never hurts to call a place of business or walk in and ask, “Are you hiring?” The worst answer you’ll get is a no. 

Athens loves its coffee, and it shows with multiple cafes within the area. Try reaching out to Court Street Coffee, Brenen’s Coffee Café, Donkey Coffee and Espresso or Towns End Coffee Bar to see if they’re hiring a barista. Big chain grocery stores are also a common place to look for work with Kroger, Aldi and Wal-Mart all being on State Street. If you don’t have a car to get there, Athens Public Transit has stops on State Street and students ride free with their OU ID. 

If you want to work local retail, check out Republic of Athens Records, Athens Underground, Import House or Random House. All of these, and others not listed, make up Athens local retail and foster that small-town job environment. Athens also has other chain retail businesses like Marshalls, CATO and Maurices among others that may be hiring come fall. 

Although college is a time to be studying and making memories, making a living wage is also important to the process of entering adulthood. If you’re hoping to work during your time at OU, the places mentioned are a great start to the job search.

@acarter3602

ac732319@ohio.edu