Album Review: Lola Young's debut is a rollercoaster of emotions

“Love really confuses me, like how much are you supposed to give?” is one of the underlying questions that Lola Young is trying to find the answer to on her debut album, “My Mind Wanders and Sometimes Leaves Completely.” Through brutal self-reflection, the singer finds clarity by the end of the album’s 10 tracks, giving her a sense of closure that is hard to find in your 20s.

Being that this is Young’s first record, there’s definitely a few missteps on it, but the tracks that standout are what make this album overall a fairly decent one. At only 22, one would think that the lyrics within it were written by someone much wiser, yet this proves Young’s maturity as a female artist.

This maturity comes to the surface because of her honesty, evident on the very first track, “Stream Of Consciousness.” Integrating spoken word and actual vocals, it does feel like Young is really just voicing the random thoughts that come to her head, some sadder than others. For example, she says, “And I’m 21 but feel like I’m gettin’ on / The child in me has been and gone, isn’t that sad?,” a heartbreaking revelation that the singer no longer has the innocence she once had as a child.

From this moment on, the album becomes a space for Young to vent, making it an interesting rollercoaster of emotions as listeners hear her sing mostly about love, which is another downfall at times on the album. 

Yet, “Revolve Around You” is one of the songs that redeems the singer, revealing the ways in which she’s let men treat her unfairly in order to maintain a connection, scared of losing someone even if they are bad for her. She sings, “Everything I do is starting to revolve around you / And I can’t help it, but even when you say / You hate me, it just makes me want you,” lines that allude to a toxic relationship, which sadly many women find themselves trapped in.

Meanwhile, songs such as “Annabel’s House,” “Pretty In Pink” and “What Is It About Me” bring down the energy of the album, all slow ballads that don’t really see anything but Young dwell more on the same storyline mentioned in “Revolve Around You.” 

This repetitiveness disappears though on “Semantic Satiation,” a track where Young actually admits to losing interest in the person she once loved. This song is edgier in the fact that it contains more background noise than singing, but this sonic move allows listeners to feel the sense of mistrust overtime that Young details. Singing, “You said you loved me so many times / I forgot the feeling,” making this moment on the album one of her most emotional.

Towards the end of the album, there’s a clear switch in Young’s tone, symbolizing her ability to finally move on from toxicity. “Money” is one of the tracks that fits this newfound confidence and freedom, especially as she says, “The problem is that you’re full of yourself / The cup on the shelf is half full, but you’re pouring it out,” calling out the person who hurt her because of their selfishness.

However, arguably the most powerful song on the record is “Don’t Hate Me,” which served as the lead single for the album a few months ago. Young’s vocals are at her best, using her raspy tone to voice her frustration and anger. A song all about betrayal, the singer isn’t apprehensive at all. She says, “Don’t hate me but you’re not / What I thought you was,” causing one to get a sense of the pain Young has held inside of her for too long.

After “Don’t Hate Me,” the album ends with “Chill Out.” Unlike the rest of the album’s central themes of love and heartbreak, Young dedicates this final song to herself. Admitting to listeners that she struggles with catastrophizing, it’s a heartfelt message to all who struggle with anxiety. Young sings, “Chill out / Lola, you need to chill out / The sky’s not falling,” highlighting the importance of embracing the highs and lows of one’s thoughts.

Overall, “My Mind Wanders and Sometimes Leaves Completely” is the perfect title for a debut album, as listeners see the randomness of Young’s thoughts jump from one subject to the next in the span of 32 minutes. As someone in their early 20s, the singer really captures the feelings of objectification, remorse, lust and empowerment without overembellishing, making most of its songs relatable and worth the listen.

Ranking: 3 / 5

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu