Artist Spotlight: Eee Gee is one of Europe's new rising stars

First making her way onto the scene in her home country of Denmark before moving to Brooklyn, New York, Emma Grankvist, otherwise known by her stage name eee gee, quickly racked up numerous 5-star reviews and accolades for her debut album “Winning” (of which some Danish reviewers dubbed it the album of the year), cementing her as a rising star to watch for in the nation. 

The singer-songwriter describes her music as “music for the introvert, who is constantly pushed into the uncomfortable extrovert way to view the world”. But, the lyrical representative for introverts didn’t stop there. Rather, she continued her “winning” streak, and immediately went straight to work on her second album “SHE-REX,” which is set to be released on Sept. 1.

The lead single of the album, “ghost house,“ is driven by her signature high, bouncing vocals set against bright, poppy guitars and an energetic yet lowkey drumline. The songstress uses imagery of haunted houses and paranormal activity as a motif, and she spins a story highlighting the problems of dating in the 21st century, marked by patterns of non-commitment and a generation of people being scared to “catch feelings”, as she sings in the track. Furthermore, it explains the need to look inward before actually committing to someone that you love in order to avoid partaking in these bad modern habits and hurting your significant other in the process.

When she was explaining her inspiration for the retro-infused song, she stated, “I have a good friend who fell in love with this guy – a cliché of a cool, free-spirited surfer-dude with nice hair and that one-in-a-million look. They went all in on what seemed to be a match made in heaven. He even talked about her on the phone with his mom. However, one day, my friend found out that he was actually dating several other girls and that he was anything but ready for a serious relationship.”

She continued to explain the message of the song by saying“Dating is haunted. If anyone should ever have a chance to find real love when looking for it, you probably need to break up with your own bad habits and expectations of what you think you need first. Ask yourself, ‘Why do you want to fall in love?' If you find the answer, I believe you’re most likely able to meet new exciting people with the right intentions.”

This promising lead single, however, does not prove to be a one-hit-wonder for the young songstress. Rather, it follows several other songs that proved her songwriting capabilities and musical prowess, such as “new year’s ex” and "perfect 10."

Eee gee has also already done numerous performances at big-name music festivals this year. She started off by performing at Eurosonic Festival, then quickly moved on to The Great Escape in Brighton and is now set to perform at other events such as Bilbao BBK Festival in Spain and Berlin’s Lollapalooza. 

After the release of her sophomore album “SHE-REX,” she is set to perform at the Pitchfork Music Festivals in both Paris and London, showing that while she is still relatively new to the music scene, she is not slowing down anytime soon, and is definitely a rising star to watch for in the coming years. 

ghost house” is out now, and you can watch the animated music video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHHZ9Q2fWFo 

as589820@ohio.edu

@alicia_szcz