Artist Spotlight: Jules Paymer shows potential as the next big alternative singer-songwriter

Jules Paymer (they/them) is an LGBTQ+ alternative rock and pop singer/songwriter with an eventful few years behind them and an exciting future ahead of them. Their music ranges from slow and sad to vengeful and exciting, and while no two songs sound the same, the themes of sapphic love are extremely prevalent, as well as the idea of looking back on childhood with the wisdom of an adult. 

At the age of seven, Jules Paymer was playing bass in a garage band in Los Angeles, alongside the future star of The Regrettes, Lydia Night. In the following two years, Paymer learned more instruments and began writing full songs. They moved to Nashville, TN, after graduating high school and continued pursuing their dream of becoming a singer/songwriter.    

While Paymer’s early songs were noticed by curators and put on Spotify playlists like New Music Friday and Young & Free, it wasn’t until they moved back to L.A. in the summer of 2022 and continued to explore modern music and friendships that their music was noticed by big name artists like Hayley Williams, Noah Kahan, Joshua Bassett and more. In 2023, Williams called “The Daughter That My Mother Wanted,”  a song Paymer wrote with Miki Ratsula, “such a powerful song” on her Instagram story.  

Paymer’s three single releases of 2021, "Therapy,” "Honey" and "Goodbye Party," are mellow and lo-fi, similar to the styles of Peter McPoland and King Princess. In these songs, Paymer’s voice flows elegantly and sounds deeply personal. The lyrics are poetic and include lots of wordplay, which remains a theme in the future of Paymer’s music. 

In 2022, Paymer released "F*** MY EXES,” "Fingers,” "I Would Probably Hate You" and "Naked.” These singles are much more pop and electronic sounding, with electric drum beats and distorted guitars. Another release from 2022, "Past Life” is much more in line with the music of Paymer’s early career. 

It delves deeper into personal experiences, specifically about gender identity, and is conveyed with a slower rhythm and gutting lyrics like “You’re still the love of my past life.” Caught between these two genres is "Blood,"  which centers around the complexities of family ties and watching a loved one deal with that trauma. It is a combination of slow melodies and powerful rhythms, making it one of Paymer’s stand out songs. 

In 2023, Paymer teamed up with Miki Ratsula for "The Daughter That My Mother Wanted.” The song feels like the fully evolved version of Paymer’s style, and is deeply poignant and relatable to many young adults. Paymer’s latest release, "Mommy Issues,” is described in the artist’s words as “dirty, fun and satirical.” The song is much more rock sounding and offers perspective on the existence of queer people with complex pasts. is also accompanied by a music video that brings the song to life in a gritty and realistic way. 

While there are no official plans on the horizon for Paymer, it can be extrapolated that they have a bright future ahead of them in the music industry. "The Daughter That My Mother Wanted" received praise from Billboard and Ones To Watch, along with the aforementioned notice from big name artists. All of their songs are worth a listen, and certainly have exciting follow ups in the future.

@sophiarooks_ 

sr320421@ohio.edu