Ankita Bansode Headshot Answers from Ankita

Answers with Ankita: Rethinking veganism's image and practices

The rise of veganism as a mainstream movement in the 20th century has undoubtedly brought attention to the ethical and environmental implications of our food choices. However, it is essential to recognize the historical roots of veganism and the cultural diversity associated with this dietary practice. Veganism, as we know it today, has been whitewashed, leading to a skewed perception that excludes the rich traditions and accessibility of vegan food in various cultures.

It is often forgotten that veganism predates modern civilization. In Ancient India, as early as between 3300 BCE and 1300 BCE, the concept of veganism emerged, emphasizing a plant-based diet and respect for all living beings. One of the earliest known vegans, Arab poet Abu al-’Ala’ Al-Ma’arri, hailed from the Arabic region, challenging the misconception that veganism is solely a Western invention. These historical examples highlight the multicultural origins of veganism and the need to celebrate its diversity.

Unfortunately, the mainstream portrayal of veganism has perpetuated a narrow image that primarily aligns with a middle-class, white and Western identity. This distortion not only erases the contributions of diverse cultures but also alienates many individuals who do not fit this stereotype. The perception of veganism as an elitist and exclusionary movement is a consequence of this whitewashing.

By reducing veganism to a marketable lifestyle, large corporations have capitalized on its growing popularity. They promote vegan products with little regard for the cultural and socioeconomic contexts in which veganism has long thrived. This exploitation reinforces the perception that veganism is a luxury accessible only to those with disposable income and certain privileges. However, this couldn't be further from the truth.

Numerous cultures worldwide have been practicing veganism for centuries, driven by religious, environmental and health reasons. For instance, traditional Indian cuisine offers a wealth of vegan options rooted in centuries-old traditions. From delicious curries to nutritious lentil dishes, Indian cuisine showcases the accessibility and affordability of plant-based eating. Similarly, various Asian cultures have a long history of plant-based diets, emphasizing the use of tofu, tempeh and a plethora of vegetables.

In African cultures, vegan dishes are staples, often influenced by a deep understanding of local plant resources. The Ethiopian injera bread, a fermented sourdough flatbread, is typically served with a variety of vegetable and lentil-based stews, providing a nutritious and vegan meal. These examples demonstrate the accessibility and affordability of vegan food in cultures that have long embraced this dietary practice.

While veganism promotes the avoidance of animal products, the sustainability of current practices should be scrutinized. Transporting certain plant-based foods over long distances contributes to carbon emissions. On the contrary, encouraging the consumption of locally sourced foods reduces the environmental impact and supports regional farmers, fostering a more sustainable and resilient food system. Prioritizing locally grown fruits, vegetables and grains promotes a closer connection between people and their food while minimizing the ecological footprint of transportation.

Embracing the cultural diversity of veganism and promoting locally sourced foods can create a more inclusive and sustainable movement. By celebrating traditions and supporting local farmers, we can foster broader participation in ethical and environmentally conscious dietary choices.

Ankita Bansode is a junior studying economics and mathematical statistics at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Tell Ankita by emailing her at ab890621@ohio.edu.