Artist Spotlight: Miranda Joan proves to be the future of soul-pop

Miranda Joan is a born and bred-Canadian singer/songwriter who is quickly establishing herself as a musical force in the indie scene.

She was born in Montréal, where she began her emotional journey as an artist. She moved to New York to study jazz and has found a home in the city as a performer. Her soulful vocalizations and ambient beats create an immersive and captivating sound that cannot be ignored as a part of the industry’s future. 

Joan released her first EP on Spotify in 2017, with her first album "Windborne"  hitting streaming in 2021. All of the singles and EPs follow a coherent style of rhythmic, smooth jazz that all stand out from each other as their own entities. 

On songs like "Slow Burn," Joan showcases her soulful style, whereas on songs like "Happy to Have You," she introduces a funkier and more electro-pop sound into her discography. Her influences range from Stevie Wonder and Carole King to Little Dragon and Robyn, all of which can be heard clearly in Joan’s sound. 

Her style blends perfectly with her new single "Kiss A Stranger." Her avant-garde tonal quality blends with her consistent style to create a sound that is a hybrid of Billie Eilish’s alternative sound with Beyoncé’s soul and vocal power. She approached this song with a synth-pop sound, complete with distorted percussion and soaring violins. 

About "Kiss A Stranger" Joan shares: "It was almost a year into lockdown, I’d left New York, moved back to Vancouver, Canada, my career was indefinitely on pause, I was single and living in a studio above the garage at my mother’s house…What I wanted was to reach out and touch somebody. Anybody. I yearned for connection; for physical touch, and found a deeper appreciation for the simple joy and freedom of meeting someone new, someone outside “the pod” of connecting with a stranger."

Joan is currently the co-host and co-founder of Brooklyn’s Femme Jam Session, a community initiative to create a women-led space with an emphasis on female musicians and inclusivity. Arts mentorship has been important throughout Joan’s career, and for the past eight years, she has been a music mentor with the nonprofit SAY: The Stuttering Association for the Young, where she works with youth eight to 18 who stutter. 

Blossoming out of an originally one-song collaboration, Joan has spent recent years collaborating with Ben Carr AKA CARRTOONS. 

“It is an album book-ended by songs of affirmation, of rooting, of returning to and loving oneself, intertwined with the messy, chaotic and interconnected web of my hopes, dreams, imagination, love, and heartache,” Joan says. 

The album will be a fusion of style where the instrumental and acoustic meets the electronic, remaining in line with what the artist has been sharing throughout her exciting beginning. 

sr320421@ohio.edu 

@sophiarooks_