Senate Bill 83 continues to raise concerns for OU faculty and students

College students often have opportunities to expand their knowledge, make decisions about their education and explore aspects of their identity in a safe space – but many state lawmakers are making an effort to change this, one bill at a time. Ohio is no exception.

Last spring semester, many students and faculty discussed Ohio Senate Bill 83, otherwise known as the “Ohio Higher Education Enhancement Act.” The bill was first introduced in March by Republican state senator Jerry Cirino and would make substantial changes to Ohio college curriculum and safe spaces. 

As students finished their exams and left campus for the summer, a ground-breaking development was made: Senate Bill 83 was passed by the Ohio Senate on May 17. The billmade it onto the state budget and remains in the Ohio House, awaiting further committee consideration.

Kathleen Sullivan, an associate professor of political science, said the bill could eliminate mandatory diversity and inclusion training and regulate identity-based groups on campus including organizations based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or sexual orientation. Although there are some specific exceptions, the passing of this bill would not mean great things for DEI efforts.

“There could be restrictions on membership by identity group, which the bill sees as segregation,” Sullivan said.

The term “segregation” appears twice in the bill. Any identity-based groupings in classroom settings, formal orientation ceremonies and formal graduation ceremonies are prohibited.

Chloe Fabricante, a sophomore studying philosophy, believes that the bill will take away identity-based spaces altogether, including an all-women’s organization she is a part of. 

“They won't be able to allow all-female groups or female-presenting groups,” Fabricante said. “It's going to take away a lot of our safe spaces on campuses in my opinion.”

The bill also addresses college curriculum, banning concepts like critical race theory and targeting colleges’ Asian and African American departments, said Julianna Rittenberg, a junior studying political science and the president of the Ohio University College Democrats.

“It’s a bill that could make diversity a lot harder in classrooms in higher education,” Rittenberg said. 

With changes to the curriculum comes a disruption in the work of Ohio professors.

Sullivan explained that if this legislation were to pass, all students would be required to take an American government course developed by Ohio’s chancellor of higher education. 

“That's a real concern about professors' academic freedom,” Sullivan said. “We choose our readings based on our own professional training according to certain learning objectives, according to certain disciplinary norms. This would require us to teach something that someone else designed.”

The proposed mandatory course would require readings including the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, essays from the Federalist Papers, the Emancipation Proclamation and the Gettysburg Address. 

The bill also bans universities from endorsing or opposing controversial beliefs. Examples of these topics include electoral politics, foreign policy, diversity, equity and inclusion programs, immigration policy, marriage and abortion, as stated on page 25 of the bill. 

In order for the bill to become law, it must pass through the House and be signed by the governor. 

Sullivan noted that if legislation change needs to be made, it should be addressed with consideration and research. 

“If we need to make meaningful changes, let's be sure we're doing it based on facts and a shared understanding of present needs,” Sullivan said. “That's how we change policy normally, and that should continue to guide us.”

As the new academic year kicks off, both Fabricante and Rittenberg recommend students continue to have discussions on Senate Bill 83 and advocate for academic freedom in higher education. 

Even if Senate Bill 83 doesn’t appear on a ballot, Fabricante encourages students to continue to use their voice in every election as a way of making their mark on important, adjacent issues.

“Give your opinion,” Fabricante said. “If you're able to talk about these things, and be an advocate, do it. But most importantly, vote.”

ab532721@ohio.edu 

@abbyblosee