A recap of what happened in Season Three of ‘Sex Education’

The new season of Netflix’s “Sex Education” comes out on Sept. 21, and with three seasons under its belt, it might be hard to remember exactly what went down at Moordale Secondary School throughout the last few years. In particular, season three was filled with plot twists and interesting new character developments, so why not revisit what happened in its eight episodes?

Otis, played by Asa Butterfield, sadly grows a mustache, which becomes part of his new persona after his relationship with Maeve, played by Emma Mackey, seems to fall apart after he admits his feelings for her. Thus, this causes him to find someone new to focus on, leading him to date Ruby Matthews, played by Mimi Keene. While this relationship is quite odd throughout most of the season, the two have their moments where fans can potentially see why they are attracted to one another. Otis is awkward, yet has good intentions, while Ruby is assertive, and they become the true definition of opposites attract.

Meanwhile, Eric, played by Ncuti Gatwa, reignites his former flame with Adam, played by Connor Swindells, which grows into a major conflict in the show because Adam is not out to his conservative parents. This frustrates Eric, and when he goes to visit his extended family for a wedding in Nigeria, he has a one-night fling with the wedding photographer. Eric’s guilt surfaces toward the end of season three because of this, causing him to tell Adam and ruin their relationship. 

Another big development is the relationship between Otis’s mom, Jean, and her former partner Jakob, whom she is expecting a child with. After Jean broke things off with Jakob in season two, in this season, it’s clear that they both miss one another, and their feelings for one another allow them to start dating again. Yet, the two don’t see motherhood in the same way, and this is another major plot line in the show, but in the end, Jean and Jakob come together to care for their child.

Arguably the most troubling character is the new Headmaster Hope Haddon, played by Jemima Kirke. Trying to turn the school into a rigid, conservative environment, which “Sex Education” has always strongly advocated against, Hope begins to destroy the individualities of all the original characters, including fan-favorites like Ola, played by Patricia Allison, and Cal, played by Dua Saleh. Her extremist ideologies cause Moordale to revolt, combining unlikely character duos to take down Hope.

These duos include former jock Jackson, played by Kedar Williams-Stirling, and star student Vivienne, played by Chinenye Ezeudu. Although the two start out on the wrong foot with the introduction of Cal, whom Jackson begins to fall for, they end up reigniting their friendship during the season finale by sabotaging Hope’s attempts to shut down the annual school play. The play, which focuses solely on sex and is based on Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet,” serves as a threat to Hope, which Jackson and Vivienne use to their advantage. 

Shutting down Hope’s attempts, the two help save Moordale from becoming a traditional school again, and of course, Otis, Eric and Maeve play a helping hand in this as well. During the play, Eric tells Adam he still loves him, surprisingly saving their relationship, while Otis and Maeve reunite in the aftermath, with Otis confessing his feelings again for her.

Maeve also breaks things off with Isaac, played by George Robinson, in order to pursue Otis again, but the three learn to maintain a balanced friendship, as throughout the show we see the two of them advocate and support Maeve during her struggles with her family.

Overall, while there were many layers to season three of “Sex Education,” season four is most likely set up to be the most exciting ending to the popular series yet due to its strong themes of friendship, acceptance and individuality. Look out for season four next week, and brace yourself for what Moordale Secondary School has to offer this time around.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu