Bobcats cannot wait for fall

The 2023 summer season is officially coming to a close. The fall equinox is Saturday, Sept. 23, marking the goodbye to the hot summer sun and hello to golden-colored leaves and pumpkin spice galore. The fall equinox will begin at approximately 2:50 a.m. Saturday and the season will last until 10:27 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 21, which is the winter solstice. The fall season brings cooler weather, Halloween, Thanksgiving and everything cozy. 

According to the National Weather Service, an equinox happens “only two times of the year when the Earth's axis is tilted neither toward nor away from the sun, resulting in a 'nearly' equal amount of daylight and darkness at all latitudes.” 

Sophia Dawson, a freshman studying journalism, is celebrating her birthday on the first day of fall and loves all of the fall festivities that come with the change of seasons.

“I like pumpkin patches; I like watching fall movies,” she said. 

She also loves Halloween and would hand out candy with her parents when she was in high school. 

Halloween is a big event at Ohio University. The annual Athens Ohio Halloween Block Party spans the streets of uptown Athens and hosts three days of Halloween festivities for students to dress up in costumes and enjoy a spooky fall weekend. 

Olivia Brinks, a freshman studying environmental science, loves the freedom of summer, but the routine that comes with fall and the start of school is something she really likes about the season. 

“I just think it’s the best season,“ she said. "It’s got the best food.”

OU has no shortage of fall food delights. At the campus cafes, students can get their pumpkin spice latte fix, and local Athens eateries are offering plenty of fall foods. Even the dining halls are getting in on the fall action and have begun serving many pumpkin-flavored treats such as cheesecake and pie. 

Another part of fall students love is the cooler weather. Students all over campus have bust out their sweaters and flannels in preparation for the changing temperatures.

“I like the cooler temperatures because I like dressing like fall,” said Mariam Snavely, a sophomore studying VR and game development. “I’ll wear like a cropped tank top and then like a cardigan.” 

With Halloween approaching, Thanksgiving looming on the horizon and all of the fall festivities beginning, there is plenty for students to look forward to as the fall equinox begins. Fall brings OU Homecoming events, beautiful leaves cascading the ground, grand Halloween celebrations, the annual “Battle of the Bricks” football game versus Miami University and the fresh start of a new season. Without a doubt, the fall season is a student favorite. 

et029322@ohio.edu