People walk by Jackie O's Pub and Brewery on Union Street, Sept. 26, 2023, in Athens, Ohio.

Jackie O’s: ‘Happy people making happy beer’

Every Athens resident, both young and old, will perk up at the mention of the name “Jackie O’s.” Jackie O’s Pub and Brewery is an Athens favorite for good food, locally crafted beer and, above all, a good time.

According to their website, Jackie O’s history begins in 2003, when Ohio University alum Andrew Arthur Oestrike, along with his best friend, Lenny Meyer, bought another well-known and loved Athens staple, Bagel Street Deli. Two years later, Oestrike purchased “O’Hooley’s Irish Pub,” Athens’ very first brewpub. Shortly before the momentous purchase, Oestrike’s mother, Jackie Oestrike, was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. Before she passed in 2006, Arther Oestrike planned to change the name of his bar from “O’Hooley’s” to “Jackie O’s” in her honor.

Jackie O’s now has three separate locations, The Public House Restaurant and Uptown Brewpub at 22 W. Union St. and 24 W. Union St., the Taproom and Brewery at 25 Campbell St. and the most recent installation, Jackie O’s on Fourth at 171 N. Fourth St. in Columbus.

Jackie O’s is committed to making beer that is “sustainably crafted with purpose.” Its beer reflects Athens itself, bringing the town’s funky nature and vibrancy straight from the bottle to everyone's tastebuds. 

Seth Morton, the director of brewing operations for Jackie O’s, works behind the scenes to assist in crafting some of Athens’ favorite beers. He started working for the brewery in 2011 while he was completing his undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering. After graduating, he became a full-time brewer in the production brewery. 

“You get to interact with the community, you get to interact with a really talented team of people,” said Morton. “I am in charge of the production of beer at all three of our locations. So we've got a varied team of very talented people. A good team makes for good days. And you know, happy people make happy beer.”

Morton emphasized Jackie O’s commitment to sustainability, explaining how it should be a widely known fact about the company. 

“Almost every single package we send out says ‘Sustainably crafted with purpose’ on it, which is something that we hold true to this day,” he said. “At the production brewery, the expansion that we put on in 2015, the entire roof was covered in solar panels. The rest of our electrical demand is brought in through solar and wind credits. We also operate Barrel Ridge Farm out on the outskirts of Athens County where we grow a lot of ingredients for both our beer and our restaurant.”

Paula Marsh, the front-of-house manager at the Public House Brewpub location, was promoted to the role this past summer after working as a host, a food runner and a server since 2018. Her commitment to Jackie O’s clearly shows, as her love for the community surrounding it is her main purpose for staying after so long.

“It's just a fun place to be,” said Marsh. “There's always fun people around, everybody is enjoying themselves and it's a very tight-knit family environment to the staff. They're really great. I feel like we all just try to help each other.”

The menu was redone in the spring because of the new executive chef; however, there are still some old favorites accompanied by a new variety of dishes and drinks. Marsh explained how its flagship brews such as “Who Cooks For You?,” its first packaged hazy pale ale, and “Razz Wheat,” a wheat beer fermented with raspberry puree, are its most popular. 

A six-pack of “Razz Wheat” is $12.99 and a six-pack of “Who Cooks For You?” is $11.99. The Public House and Brew Pub have different food options to offer; however, Marsh says the Brew Pub Burger, which retails for $17, is the most popular. Her personal favorite is the new Ramen Bowls, which retail between $9 and $16 depending on the protein and additional add-ons. The new menu has also incorporated more gluten-free and vegetarian options.

Mike Flynn, the general manager of the uptown locations, discussed its focus on bringing more people into the Brew Pub. With its new executive chef, the new food menu is only around a month old; however, public favorites have already been declared from the menu, specifically the Yucatan Pork Tacos, containing slow-roasted pulled pork that is locally sourced, which retail for $14. 

Flynn additionally expressed his love for the community and family he has made at Jackie O’s. Being a part of it for about 10 years now, he believes the owner, Art Oestrike, continues to be the driving force behind the restaurant's strength. 

“(Oestrike) never wanted to outsource jobs outside of Athens unless it was the Columbus locations,” said Flynn. “He never really outsources. He always wants to create a job inside a community that needs jobs. It's very cool that way, Art (is always) wanting to make Athens better all the time. I feel like Athens responds well to people respecting that.”

Marsh says to expect the menu to change again, as they are leaning toward using a seasonal menu for the future. She additionally says to be on the lookout for new non-alcoholic options which include a variety of kombucha, CBD drinks and mocktails. Flynn also encourages customers to look at Jackie O’s Instagram, @jackieosbrewery, for upcoming changes, new engaging events and the new seasonal menu predicted to come sometime in October. 

Jackie O’s was born in Athens and continues to be raised in it as time moves forward. The community also continues to grow and watch as one of its favorite places to grab a bite or have a beer, change along with it.

“I got lucky enough to work at the place where I like to hang out,” said Flynn. “I made a lot of my best friends there. I love being part of the staff … It's cool seeing people come back and see the next people discovering again. That's how it's always growing. When we say there's ‘the Jackie O’s family,’ it's very true.”

aj205621@ohio.edu 

abbyjenks18