We love celebrity gossip, but is it really good for us?

Our brains love gossip about celebrities, especially when it’s negative. Literally, our brains’ reward system lights up when we hear rumors about the rich and famous. 

Remember when all of X, formerly known as Twitter, was convinced that Harry Styles spit on Chris Pine during the “Don’t Worry Darling” premiere? It became so widespread that both superstars addressed the situation, albeit in a joking manner. 

The internet was obsessed with the entire production of the thriller, analyzing every moment from the beginning to the end. To such an extent that Cosmopolitan has a timeline of the whole scandal, including “SpitGate.”

The internet sensation over “Don’t Worry Darling" is one of the reasons 2022 was nicknamed the “Year of Gossip” by Time Magazine, attributing the COVID-19 pandemic as an explanation for the influx of internet rumors. During the lockdowns, everyone was flocking to the internet for entertainment. Schools were shut down and Zoom sessions were dragging on as most students were scrolling Instagram in another window. Celebrities’ lives became a way to make up for the lack of gossip that usually occurs during in-person events. 

There is a danger in becoming deeply involved with celebrities' lives and actions. These are called “parasocial relationships,” which are one-sided connections that a fan has with a famous figure. A situation like this can lead to numerous mental health issues and interfere with real-life relationships. 

“Many of the year’s most sensational celebrity stories centered on larger issues,” Eric Deggans of NPR. Remember the divorce of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West? While the situation created entertaining gossip, it also started a conversation about the recent increase of antisemitism in America. Sometimes, there is a bigger conversation to be had that has to be noticed before it can be started.

Celebrity gossip, like the “SpitGate” can just be good harmless fun. It offers a respite from daily news stories, which have become increasingly depressing in the last few years, and provides entertainment for the masses.

Still, if you find yourself emotionally invested in celebrity gossip, it might be time to take a step back from the keyboard.

@alexh0pkins

ah875121@ohio.edu