Ohio University Senior, Lucy Davis (2) celebrates with her teammates after scoring a goal against Appalachian State at Pruitt Field on October 28, 2022.

Field Hockey: Ohio scores in final seconds to beat Kent State 3-2

Ohio (3-3) started its stretch of road games with a game to remember against Kent State (2-7). The game was close, with Ohio scoring a goal with only seconds left to come away with the victory, 3-2.

Kent State got off to a great start, putting the first score on the board only 2:52 into the game. Ohio was on the defensive for most of the first quarter, as Kent State sent an onslaught of shots at the goal—seven in total. Ohio was only able to muster one shot by forward Katelyn Whittle. With the first quarter over, Kent State looked to carry the momentum over to the second quarter.

Kent State couldn’t carry over the momentum from the first quarter, as it couldn’t find the net. This is in part due to Ohio goalie, Macy Lotze, who had two saves in the quarter alone. Likewise, Ohio couldn’t find the net either, with both teams seeming to be at a stalemate. As the clock buzzed and halftime arrived, the game would still be 1-0 with Kent State holding the lead.

The third quarter was all Ohio’s as it finally got on the board with a score from Whittle. With the score being tied, it was now anyone’s game. Kent State couldn’t get any shots, a significant decline from the previous seven that it had in the first quarter. Ohio’s stout defense was able to prevent any Kent State scores from getting on the board and was ready to take the game in the fourth quarter, with Whittle’s goal coming with 2:09  left in the quarter.

The fourth quarter turned into a shootout between both teams, as the fireworks started when Kent State back, Iris Bekker, scored on a penalty stroke. Kent State now had control of the game, leading 2-1. Ohio fired right back though with a goal from Whittle only 1 minute, 23 seconds later. 

The game was back where it was in the third quarter, all tied up. With 29 seconds left in regulation, the game-winning sequence would happen for Ohio, as it had two penalty corners by Whittle. The second corner led to a shot on goal by Ohio's Meela Kopp, which then proceeded to be blocked by Kent State goalie, Cecile van Eijck. With that save, the game looked to be headed into overtime with only 19 seconds left in regulation. But with 17 seconds remaining, Ohio forward Sasha Dikotla scored the game-winning goal. Regulation ended with Ohio inching out a victory over Kent State, with a score of 3-2.

Ohio had 14 shots, with eight being on goal. With a score of three, this is a major improvement from last week’s 23 shots, 11 on goal, only leading to one score.

With a big win at Kent to start conference play, the Bobcats will travel to Columbus on Sunday to face off against Ohio State at 1 p.m.