Students spice it up for ‘spooky season’

It is finally time for a favorite unofficial season: spooky season. With the start of fall and the official goodbye to summer memories, Ohio University students reflect on their favorite activities for the upcoming fall festivities as well as what they are most looking forward to with the start of autumn. 

According to Grammarphobia, the term “spooky season” arrived in the early 20th century and reappeared almost every decade, steadily increasing in popularity by the end of the 20th century. The term is used to describe the time in autumn in which unexplainable things may occur. 

While some are thrilled to see everyone’s fabulous costumes roam the bricks of Court Street during Halloween weekend, others are excited to spend time with their friends and watch the changing of leaves while drinking their favorite fall caffeinated beverages filled with cinnamon, apple, pumpkin spice and everything nice. 

Sydney Yoder, a senior studying journalism, said she was excited for the weekend before Halloween because of all of the festivities and people roaming around campus. She said apart from it being Halloween season, the weekend before Halloween also holds an Ohio Discovery Day, so as a tour guide she will be asked to work in order to show potential students around campus. 

“I’m excited to see all the people that are here and I like looking at the costumes (especially) at the block party,” she said. “That one’s really fun.” 

Yoder said she is also excited to look at the changing colors of the leaves around College Green. She said she recently went on a drive around Athens County and romanticized the beautiful winding roads.

“It’s really windy and hilly and then there’s trees surrounding everything and it’s gorgeous,” she said. “I was like, ‘This is a Taylor Swift music video.’”

Caroline Kuhen, a freshman studying pre-physical therapy, said she was looking forward to the costumes she had planned with her friends for Halloween. She said she was also excited about the change in weather. 

“I really like fall drinks and when it gets colder outside,“ she said. “(I like) not sweating when you’re walking to class and the leaves and how pretty it gets and to see the campus during fall.” 

Kuhen said she loves spending time with her family and watching Halloween movies with them to celebrate her sister. 

“My sister’s birthday is around Halloween so we’d always do Halloween birthday things for her,” she said. 

Kaela Ricket, a freshman studying health communications, said she was very excited about the various costumes she is trying to assemble for Halloween this year. She said some of these costumes included Princess Aurora, as a Victoria’s Secret angel and Karen, the hilarious ditzy high schooler from “Mean Girls.”

She said she is also a huge fan of the show “Gilmore Girls”, a feel-good comedy centered around the life of teenager Rory Gilmore going through her adolescence and early adult years. 

“I’m excited for the fall weather and watching ‘Gilmore Girls’ again,“ she said. “Not that I don’t do that all year round, but then you can really wear chunky sweaters and pretend that you’re Rory Gilmore, so that's what I’m excited for.”

With the temperatures lowering and the days getting shorter, Bobcats are ready to get cozy and celebrate the spooky season.

gc183621@ohio.edu 

@gabriellecab1