Artist Spotlight: 4TH IMPACT draws from its bond as sisters to accentuate their talents

In the past decade, an exceptional familial music group has emerged out of Santiago City, Philippines. 4TH IMPACT, formerly known as 4TH Power, the group is composed of four sisters: Almira, Irene, Mylene and Celina Cercado. The group performed on The X Factor UK in 2015 and earned the status of a Top 5 Finalist. Their time on the show featured a cover of Jessie J’s “Bang Bang,” a rendition that amassed over 190 million views on The X Factor UK’s official YouTube channel. 

Aside from their breakout performance, the legacy of 4TH IMPACT has extended to various international stages. They were victorious at the World Championships of Performing Arts in 2006, earning the title of Junior Vocal Group World Champion. In 2013, they returned to triumph as the Senior Vocal Group Grand Champion. Their journey also led them to the South Korean talent search, Superstar K6, where they reached eighth place in 2014. 

Following their success on The X Factor UK, 4TH IMPACT captivated audiences in London and neighboring cities. In early 2016, the group embarked on their inaugural tour, The X Factor Live Tour, co-headlining with fellow X Factor acts. The group was named best act following the tour's conclusion. 

4TH IMPACT has performed as the opening act for renowned artists like Boyzone and Rita Ora, and they’ve contributed their talent to charitable causes, such as the Monaco Charity Film Festival in 2007. The group has received accolades like Pop Girl Group of the Year at the 2022 P-POP Awards, as well as Pop Youth Model of the Year at the same award show the year prior. 

While 4TH IMPACT takes inspiration from iconic groups like Destiny’s Child, the Spice Girls and BlackPink, they have evolved into a distinguishable group with their own identity. Their journey began at an early age when they turned their passion and natural talents into a means of support for their family and in pursuit of their education. Earlier this year, they flew to the U.S. to establish a home base in Los Angeles, from where they aim to capture the hearts and ears of the American audience. 

As the K-pop craze continues to captivate global audiences, 4TH IMPACT is determined to break through into the international mainstream and make a mark representing P-pop (Filipino pop culture and music). They aim to emphasize the tight-knit bond they share as sisters, as well as represent the genre, a passion that has recently manifested into a new single, "DISTORTED," produced by American-Hungarian songwriter, music producer and mixing/mastering engineer, Miklós Malek. The release marks the beginning of their U.S. tour, as well as their upcoming EP, to be released on Oct. 28, 2023. 

The song is a fully matured remastering of their former works. The group has showcased early 2010s anthem pop, feminist ballads and R&B with their early songs like "Unleash The Diva," "It's Not The Same Anymore" from the Filipino comedy movie “Ang Dalawang Mrs. Reyes,” and "Take My Breath Away." However, "DISTORTED" is a layered and empowering club anthem. The song is made up of more than just impressive high notes, rather, it contains multitudes of both subtle and apparent talent. 

The song focuses on a relationship, portraying a woman’s determination to assert her worth and stand up for herself. The song features bright synths, divine harmonies and the same vocal powerhouses that impressed the stoic Simon Cowell eight years ago. The accompanying music video matches the energy of the song, featuring the girls in fabulous outfits and deluxe settings, reveling in their power and sisterhood. 

4TH IMPACT is one of the most exciting girl groups to watch right now. Their inspiring journey through the music industry as siblings and their unbelievable levels of talent and determination culminate in an undeniably rebellious and intoxicating atmosphere. Their connection to each other creates an electric onstage presence and an even greater musical atmosphere.  

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu