Students can manage midterm stress with these tips

Midterm week is coming up quickly, and it can be one of the most stressful times of the semester for students. Staying on top of your homework load is important, but it is more crucial to remember to prioritize yourself and relax during midterms. 

Here are some of the best tips on how to de-stress before midterms: 

Getting enough sleep/taking naps

Making sure you are getting enough sleep at night is critical. Stress can cause trouble falling asleep because you are overthinking from all the work you have to do. Sleeping is the way for the brain and body to recharge. Getting enough sleep can also affect your mood, focus level and overall functioning. If you decide to stay up late to catch up on homework or studying, take time the next day to fit a nap into your schedule to ensure you are getting enough rest. 

Stick to a healthy diet

Make sure you are getting enough to eat and that you are remembering to eat foods that are healthy for you. Try to avoid sugary drinks and processed foods. Remember to eat fruits and vegetables to give your body the nutrition it needs to function. It is also important to remember to drink plenty of water and to eat balanced meals. 

Pick up a hobby

Turn your attention away from homework and studying with a hobby you enjoy. Listening to music while studying or in your free time is a good stress reliever. It can provide a mental distraction and help relieve tension. If music isn’t one of your interests, turn your attention to another hobby like reading, sewing or drawing. Having a hobby can help boost your mood and confidence, and adopting one can help strengthen your mental health before you take your midterms. 

Go outside

Remembering to get outside and move your body is a great way to relieve stress. Try walking around campus, the bike path or up to The Ridges on one of the walking paths. Walking is an activity you could do yourself or with friends. Try studying outside as well. Grab a hammock or blanket, pick a comfortable spot on campus and enjoy some fresh air. Going outside can help improve your mental health and lower stress levels because it can increase your focus and attention. 

Unplug from technology

Whether you’re scrolling on Instagram or watching too many videos on TikTok, you may find yourself linked to technology. Unplugging yourself from technology and taking a break from social media can help boost productivity and your learning ability. Taking time away from technology and social media is beneficial because it allows you to relax and reflect. You may also experience the fear of missing out by using too much social media. By lessening your use of social media and technology, the likelihood of comparing yourself to others will decrease and help lower your stress levels during midterms. 

Connect with others

When feeling stressed about midterms, you may tend to isolate yourself. Instead of doing that, try reaching out to family or friends to make social connections. To have one friend or family member listen to you can make all the difference. Social connection is a great way to relieve stress because it can give a distraction and provide the support you need. Go for a coffee break with your friends or call your parents, it can be a great way to improve your mental health. 

Utilize Academic support

Several academic services are offered on campus to help students study, write a paper or even prepare for a presentation. The Academic Achievement Center (AAC) has programs like academic coaching, homework hubs, peer tutoring and the writing commons. The AAC is committed to helping students achieve their academic goals and to succeed in classes. Utilizing the academic support systems on campus can help relieve the stress of studying for midterms. 

Prioritize your well-being

While you know you have so much you want to do and might want to do it all at once, sometimes you just cannot. It’s important to remember to say no or be willing to delegate to help manage your to-do list. Having self-care is the most important thing to remember if stressed about midterms. You have to put yourself first, even if that means rearranging your to-do list to give yourself time to sleep, eat or take a break. 

@ashleypomplas

ap125920@ohio.edu