Bobcats dream big

Childhood dreams are an integral part of life. Some people grow up wanting to be a doctor, a firefighter or the president of the United States. Some children want to go to the moon or become the world’s biggest pop star. These dreams, although sometimes silly and childish, shape those who dream them and follow them for the rest of their lives. 

According to The Toy Association, 43% of adults are currently living out their childhood fantasies. 

Ohio University welcomes a variety of students from all backgrounds and places. Every student at OU has a dream, whether this is a dream they have had since they were a child or a new dream they are pursuing. 

Maecy Voytek, a freshman studying in hearing, speech and language, has dreamed of being a member of OU’s Marching 110 since childhood. 

“Both of my parents were in the Marching 110, they met in the Marching 110, so it has kind of like it’s always been a long-running thing in my family,” Voytek said. 

Sometimes dreams are more than just something someone wants to do someday. 

Tay Carthon, a freshman studying film, said, “I think that that dream, I guess it kind of keeps me going.” 

Carthon’s biggest dream is to be in movies and move out of Ohio. 

“I’ve always wanted to like, be somewhere other than Ohio,” Carthon said. “I’ve always just wanted to move to Los Angeles and just be a famous person.” 

A dream is nice to have and think about, but actively pursuing and living that dream is much more rewarding.

“When I performed my first performance, I performed at the Lake Band festival, and there were fireworks that were set off,” Voight said. “I was standing in parade formation like with my instrument and watching the fireworks. I was like, ‘This is the best day of my life.’” 

While dreams can be a self-fulfilling prophecy, they can also be bigger than oneself. 

“Now, I’m doing (film) because I just wanted to be a part of it, but also because I want to bring something to films,” Carthon said. “I wanted to bring more diversity to films.” 

Gavin Dallas, a sophomore studying political science and psychology, has always dreamed of traveling and seeing the world. He has visited Europe, Mexico and various places around the U.S. and is studying abroad next semester in France. However, more than fulfilling his dream, traveling has allowed Dallas to see the world and its people differently than he did before. 

“I think (traveling) gave me just a lot more like sympathy and empathy for a lot of people,” he said. “I think it changed my political views a lot, just seeing how people live.” 

Not all dreams are that serious, sometimes they are just fun things to think about and wish for. 

Callie Palmer, an undecided freshman, has a dream that may be a little less attainable than Carthon’s and Dallas’, but not impossible. 

“A recurring (dream I have) for some reason was having a waterpark in my backyard,” she said. “I remember thinking about that a lot.”

As one gets older, not all career-focused dreams are what they once seemed to be. Palmer dreamed of being a teacher but realized that it was not the right path.

“When I was younger, I wanted to be a teacher, but now I have no clue,” Palmer said. 

Palmer said it was the realities of teaching that made her rethink her dream. 

“Within the last five years or so just seeing how admin treat their own teachers, plus with how little they get paid, (I realized) that teaching is a dream better left for the past,” she said.

Some children grow up wanting to be astronauts and end up working at NASA. Some people want to be lawyers when they grow up but realize law school just is not a good fit. No matter the dream big or small, it is important to remember that those dreams are an integral part of life. As one learns and grows and experiences all of life’s harshness, dreams will always guide the way. 

et029322@ohio.edu