Fall treats to make on campus this semester

With fall in full swing at Ohio University, it’s the perfect time to start making desserts. While cooking in a dorm or apartment can be challenging at times, there are many recipes students can try this season with ease.

If you’re looking for easy dorm and apartment-friendly fall treats to make, here’s a list to try this semester:

Caramel apples

This is a classic fall dessert that can be made in under an hour in a dorm or apartment. If you want to make your own caramel, start with heavy cream, light corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, salt and vanilla extract. Cook all of these ingredients together on a stovetop until the caramel forms and the temperature reaches 235 degrees. Allow this mixture to cool for three to five minutes before dipping your apple of choice in. 

If you want, you can also dip the apple into a candy of your choice afterward like M&M’s or sprinkles. Next, lay the apple on a nonstick surface like a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. For about 30 to 45 minutes, let the apple rest until the caramel fully hardens. Finally, you’re ready to enjoy!

Find the recipe here

Five-minute apple crisp

If you’re in the mood for apple crisp this fall, try this five-minute recipe. Find two apples of your choice, honey, quick oats, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, whole wheat flour and pecans. Use one-fourth of a cup of quick oats, one-half of a teaspoon of cinnamon and one-eight of a teaspoon of salt. Then use 2 ½ tablespoons of brown sugar and whole wheat flour and two tablespoons of pecans. Then, mix all of these together in a single-serving microwave-friendly bowl. Microwave the contents for five minutes, and then your apple crisp is ready to enjoy! You can even add extra toppings once it’s done like more pecans, cinnamon or granola!

Find the recipe here.

Vegan pumpkin spice latte

You might be someone who prefers specialty fall drinks over food, so look no further than a more inclusive option with this vegan pumpkin spice latte recipe. All you need is canned pumpkin puree, almond milk, maple syrup, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract and black coffee. First, find a mug and mix together one tablespoon of canned pumpkin puree, three-fourths of a cup of almond milk, two tablespoons of maple syrup, one pinch of allspice, one-eight of a teaspoon of cinnamon and nutmeg and one-fourth of a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Next, add in one-half of a cup of black coffee. Stir all of these ingredients together, and your latte is set for the rest of your day. 

Find the recipe here.

Pumpkin cookie dough dip

The perfect party appetizer could be this pumpkin cookie dough dip recipe this fall. To make, just grab pumpkin puree, maple syrup, peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut flour and pumpkin spice. Mix together one cup of pumpkin puree, three tablespoons of maple syrup, two tablespoons of peanut butter, one-fourth of a cup of chocolate chips, two tablespoons of coconut flour and one-half of a teaspoon of pumpkin spice. Once the dip forms, you can add more chocolate chips on top to serve, as well as pumpkin spice. The dip should have a bright orange color to it and take five to 10 minutes to whip up.

Find the recipe here.

Pumpkin brownies

This fall recipe combines the tastes of fall with a boxed brownie mix, ideal for students who don’t have time to make brownies from scratch. Select your preferred boxed brownie mix and follow the instructions that come with it. Add in one-half of a cup of chocolate chips, one-half of a can of pumpkin puree, three-fourths of a brick of cream cheese, three tablespoons of granulated sugar and one tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice. Use an eight-by-eight pan and bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes or until the brownies are cooked in the middle. Let the brownies sit for an hour before serving.

Find the recipe here.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu