Fresh Finds Friday: Music from Lyrical Lemonade, Kevin Abstract

Happy Friday! It's been another week with new music. Also, happy HallOUween weekend! With that said, it's always good to listen to new tunes. Just this past week, we have new music from Berhana, Mk.gee and Kevin Abstract.

Although everyone has their favorite genre of music, we've made a series of songs that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs or albums from the past week that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. 

Here are five new songs you should check out:

“Hello There (with Lil Tracy, Corbin, Black Kray)” by Lyrical Lemonade

"Hello There" comes from Lyrical Lemonade, the multimedia brand company known for its music videos for highly acclaimed artists headed by Cole Bennett. Teaming up with Def Jam Recordings on a series of singles such as "Doomsday," "Guitar In My Room," Lyrical Lemonade’s "Hello There" fits in. Upon listening, the roaring bass backed with the reverberated vocals and somber melody may cause a feeling of déjà vu. "Hello There" is a reimagination of the iconic melody from–you guessed it,–"I Miss You" by blink-182 with the help of Lil Tracy, Corbin and Black Kray. It also comes with a music video, of course, that you can watch here

“What Should I Do?” by Kevin Abstract 

Kevin Abstract comes onto the scene with his new single "What Should I Do?" Listeners of the hip-hop scene may recognize Abstract as a founding member of the hip-hop collective Brockhampton. Abstract is now embarking on a solo career after the group's disbandment. On "What Should I Do?" a guitar instrumental plays as Abstract sings, rather than raps, about a budding relationship of queer love, which comes with a featured short film titled,  "SLIP N SLIDE." What Should I Do?" will be on Abstract's upcoming third studio album, “Blanket," set to release Nov. 3. 

“Are You Looking Up” by Mk.gee, Two star

New Jersey singer/songwriter Mk.gee has had sold-out shows at Brooklyn’s Music Hall of Williamsburg and Toronto’s The Great Hall with bandmates Dijon and Andrew Aged. With collaborator Two star, Mk.gee picks up his guitar and plays some chords over dreamy piano on “Are You Looking Up,” which appears to be half love song and half questioning of some higher power. With lyrics: “Rylee just waits on somebody to give her new light / So are you looking up, are you asking why,” it’s so catchy you can’t help but sing along. “Are You Looking Up” also comes with a second single titled “You got it,” in which Mk.gee tells his lover not to sleep on their love.

“Amén (The Nomad’s Dream)” by Berhana

Berhana, an American singer/songwriter from an Ethiopian family, explores his roots on his sophomore album "Amén (The Nomad's Dream)." The album's making led Berhana to his family's hometown of Harar. "I was the first to go back in 40+ years, I walked through the house my mother grew up in, ate at my grandmother's favorite bakery, and sat in a church my great great grandfather built over 100 years ago,“ he wrote in an Instagram post. With the release of the album also comes a short film with him playing the character of "The Nomad," which in this context is someone able to carry a piece of home wherever they go. You can watch the short film "The Nomad's Dream" here.

“Halloween” by Morgan Wade

Country singer Morgan Wade teams up with producer Clint Wells on a gut-punching track about a moment of realization that still haunts her. With lyrics, “I knew I loved you that Halloween / When I saw you and I got mad,” the singer opens up about a moment that led to tears in a liquor store parking lot. Wade has been open about her sobriety since 2017, saying, “I won’t just do something because it looks good. I’m going to do what I want to do. Keep circles small and focus on the people who care.”

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu