Goalie Garrett Alderman (31) blocks the puck from the goal at the game against Calvin University, Oct. 7, 2023, in Athens, Ohio.

Hockey: Ohio splits away series against Maryville

The Bobcats fell to the Saints after a shutout on Friday

Ohio traveled to Missouri this weekend to take on Maryville and ended up splitting the weekend series. Last weekend, Ohio struggled with cohesiveness and offensive production which is continuing to inhibit their ability to sweep a full series. Here are the numbers you need to know from the Bobcats split:

100

Justin Damon, one of the most consistent goalies for Ohio, shut out Maryville in the first game of the series. He had a 100% save percentage with 28 shots on goal. Head Coach Lionel Mauron referred to him as one of the top goalies in the league, and his impressive defensive performances help that ring true. He can make crucial saves when the Bobcats are in a pinch, and that helps the Bobcats' defense stay sharp.

9

Noah Holt (#9) is a rookie forward for the Bobcats who has been pulling some major offensive weight. He scored the only goal on Saturday against Maryville and is one of only three players who have scored three goals this season. His presence on the team is truly helping the Bobcats on the offensive side.

3

Ohio lost 3-1 to Maryville on Saturday night after the shutout performance on Friday. It seemed that Maryville came back with a vengeance that Ohio simply was not ready for. Coach Mauron has previously said the Bobcats have not been able to play as a singular unit, and this has affected their ability to secure victories. Ohio will continue to attempt to remedy that heading into its series against Niagara next weekend. 

1

Foward Luc Reeve, who was the leading scorer in the ACHA last season, scored his first goal Friday, and it was an impressive one. Reeve was able to smack one into the net while the Saints were on the power play, a fairly uncommon feat in collegiate hockey. Reeve also has 4 assists this season and is continuing to cement himself as one of Ohio’s best.

ee646020@ohio.edu

@ErionEmma

Emma Erion

Managing Editor