Provided by Jamie Koeth

Student Spotlight: Liam Koeth reflects on standout acting career

At Ohio University, it’s rare to find student actors who have worked alongside some of Hollywood’s biggest names, but one student has defied this common norm. Liam Koeth, a freshman studying communications, has been acting since he was four months old, passionately laying the foundation for his acting career.

His first role, an elephant baby in his mother’s youth theater production of “Seussical,” marked the start of his career, taking him down unexpected and exciting paths. Koeth said he’s now done around 70 plays, alongside commercials, modeling and movies.

“I really enjoy acting because I think it's a nice chance to get to step into someone else's shoes,” Koeth said. “You get to try and perceive the world from a different perspective, and I've always found that very interesting. It's also a great excuse to get out there and meet new people, make new friends.”

Koeth landed his first major role as Jeffrey Dahmer’s younger brother in the 2017 film, “My Friend Dahmer.” Working with big names such as Ross Lynch, who played Dahmer, as well as Anne Heche and Alex Wolff, he said he wouldn’t have landed the role without joining an agency.

IMG_2228.JPG

With the help of his father, Koeth joined Docherty Talent Agency, which helped him recruit for roles, earn auditions and network with directors and actors.

“They'll comb through who they think would be good for that audition, and then they point them in a direction for who they think that they should choose,” Koeth said. “Then I'll get an audition if they like me, and then I'll audition.”

After seeing his audition for “My Friend Dahmer,” the team behind the film chose Koeth for his role, which he said was an amazing experience.

“It was an awesome, wonderful experience,” Koeth said. “I was the only child on set, so I was pretty intimidated because there's all these famous people. There's obviously Ross Lynch, there's Anne Heche and Alex Wolff as well, so I got to know them.”

Even though he was intimidated to work with bigger names, Koeth said he learned that they were also normal people, allowing him to see them beyond their fame and success. He even got to play ping pong with Lynch and Wolff, a moment that helped lower his nerves while on set.

Six years later, Koeth still keeps in touch with some of the cast and crew, including the author of the comic the movie was based on, Derf Backderf, and Lynch. With Lynch coming to Athens on Nov. 10 to perform in his band The Driver Era, Koeth is excited to reconnect.

“I keep in touch with Ross Lynch a little bit,” he said. “I reached out to him about when he's coming down, like what a wild coincidence.”

Besides “My Friend Dahmer,” Koeth said his favorite roles have been in musicals like “Into the Woods” and “The Little Mermaid,” which he was a part of in high school. 

Now, Koeth is focusing on college life, so far enjoying his time in Athens. He remembers visiting campus for the first time and realizing he could see himself going to OU. An Ohioan himself (a Cleveland native), Koeth said he has had an easy transition from high school to college.

“I'm from Ohio, so that was nice and easy,” Koeth said. “It's kind of close by but it's not too close. It's a good amount that I can feel like I'm an independent person. Also, knowing that I have family and friends nearby in case I need that.”

After settling into his freshman year, Koeth is now gearing up for more auditions, wanting to balance his school life with his acting career. Wanting to explore more roles by putting himself out there, he hopes to be successful in the future after working on a major film.

“I've really cherished that learning experience I've had for my life,” Koeth said. “I think it's definitely been a core foundation of building who I have become.”

With his acting career being a major motivator in his life, Koeth wants to keep getting better at his craft, wanting to learn more about different types of people and places.

“It’s had a massive impact on my life,” Koeth said. “I think getting involved in theater and being an actor really helps you try to see things from others' perspectives. It also allows you to really grow a lot of empathy and just learn a lot about different types of people and places.”

Koeth has proven how dedicated he is to acting, especially as a college student. Looking ahead, he’s eager to work in Athens and continue his academics, and of course, reunite with the actors who have shaped his career.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu