TV Review: ‘Ahsoka’ part eight comes to an unfulfilling end

This review may contain spoilers.

Plot

Part eight, titled, ‘The Jedi, The Witch, and The Warlord’ is so infuriatingly bad and thin. It’s a Disney show-type ending, one where the writers never knew how the story was supposed to end besides the major plot point.

The writers always don’t know how to lead to an event correctly, such as the ‘War against Aliens’ in “Secret Invasion”’. For this show, it would be Thrawn leaving the other galaxy. There are three things of note that happen in this episode: Thrawn leaves, our heroes fight faceless grunts and Ahsoka and Sabine get stranded in the other galaxy. 

It’s insane that a new war is about to occur because Sabine stole a map and got it taken from her and then refused to destroy the map a second time because she wanted to see her friend. She risked the entire galaxy and millions of people to see one friend. It’s the trolley problem gone wrong.

In the end, the galaxy lost two Jedi and instead gained an Admiral who tried to start a war. If Sabine had done nothing or destroyed the map, then countless people wouldn’t have died or will die.

Overall, this episode was the peak “Ahsoka.” We ended with the entire show having zero characters, no one gained any character traits or went on any arcs; basically, it was a completely useless show. It’s been like this for five years straight now, and it appears as if it’ll stay this way forever. 

Writing

Dave Filoni was the only writer for this show, and hopefully, he will never write again because the writing in this show is worse than “The Book of Boba Fett,” “The Mandalorian” and every other terrible Disney “Star Wars” show. It was thought to be impossible for someone to be as bad as those shows, but Ahsoka takes that as a challenge. Each episode’s script must’ve been 20 pages or less because there is barely any dialogue in the show. 

Instead of having good writing, Filoni would rather have long dramatic pauses for ten seconds at a time to fill out the runtime. An episode will be overall 50 minutes, but more than half of an episode is long pauses between dialogue. It’s insulting that they have no story so they have to drag out the runtime every instance because they were too lazy and phoned in a show yet again. 

Filoni is also responsible for “The Mandalorian,” another terrible show with the same writing problems. “Ahsoka” is more forgettable than “The Mandalorian,” and in weeks' time both you and I won’t even remember that this show existed. 

That is because the writing doesn’t stick with you, there’s nothing to chew on, nothing to think about and nothing to learn from. This writing is the definition of sludge, but what Disney will see is using cameos again and again is what makes fans happy. They could have made a show that uses previous characters while telling a story that expands on a character's life. There could have even been action scenes, like in “Andor.”

Music

The music in this show has been completely hit-or-miss, however it only hit three times throughout the entire show, with two of them being in the first episode. The only good part of the soundtrack was the opening crawl, Baylan’s theme and Thrawn’s introduction. Besides those three tracks, the entire soundtrack is generic, bland and uninspiring. It never usually compliments what’s on screen nor does it heighten emotions. This is one of the worst soundtracks that “Star Wars” has ever produced, and is only rivaled by “The Book of Boba Fett.”

Season review

Overall, Star Wars’ “Ahsoka” is a terribly written show that writers thought was more important than it actually is. The main takeaway from this show will be that Anakin was in it for 10 minutes and that’s it. This show will be forgotten about in a few weeks until the next show comes out. Like a drug, you forget the last time and focus on the next high, which will be “Loki” season two this week.

However, the cycle will continue as Disney hemorrhages money. 

Rating: 1/5

@griffinshaivitz

gs813919@ohio.edu