Artist Spotlight: Casii Stephan continues to impress listeners

Minnesota-born and Tulsa-based indie/soul rock singer-songwriter Casii Stephan has impressed listeners for nearly a decade with her powerful voice and lyrical authenticity. Her discography is an emotional journey through her defiance of negative social norms, such as sexism, ageism and “playing nice” as a woman. 

Stephan’s vocals are characterized by their ferocity and unrelenting power. However, this boldness has not always been a part of Stephan’s personality. She grew up as a shy kid and feared the strength of her voice until she began writing songs on the family piano when she was 16. 

In 2014, Stephan moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma, with no intention of pursuing a music career. However, after a little encouragement from a friend, she continued songwriting and began releasing music shortly after. Since then, she has received numerous music awards, headlined tours, performed at the virtual Sundance Film Festival and been praised by Billboard, American Songwriter and NPR. 

The latter of the list said her “gorgeously emotive voice inspires comparisons to alt-pop artists like Florence Welch and Fiona Apple with a writing style reminiscent of Carole King.” In addition to these comparisons, Stephan’s style is similar to Of Mice & Men, with her vocals being emblematic of Janis Joplin. 

Stephan has released many singles in her years in the music industry. Songs like "Yo-Yo" and "Letters" contain upbeat and soulful rhythms that perfectly complement the singer's vocalizations. The introduction of multiple instruments, from intense electric guitars to delicate piano and the simple lyrics all contribute to wonderful demonstrations of musicality. The true hero of the music is Stephan’s vocals, with her voice masterfully fluctuating from a powerful belt to a lofty falsetto with shimmering vibrato. 

Other songs, like "I Like the Way" and "When Winter Comes,"  contain that same passion in a different package. The two songs showcase Stephan’s lofty, higher register and a more bare instrumental background to highlight her haunting voice even more, which elevates her lyrics to an entirely different level. 

"Trapeze Artist," "Here Comes the Light"  and "These Hard Days"  demonstrate Stephan’s multifaceted music. The first song on that list exemplifies a sense of urgency that is highlighted by the combination of the main and background vocals. "Here Comes the Light" contains a larger-than-life, swelling chorus and examples of the message she tries to imbue into her listeners. The latter introduces a gospel sound, replete with percussion and choral singers in line with the genre. 

"Already Gone" and "Trust Fall" are other standouts in her discography. The former is jazzy and syncopated, with the most impressive demonstration of her high, belting range. "Trust Fall" begins with an electronic, yet strangely natural-sounding ambiance. The track is more of a musical environment than a song and is a wonderful demonstration of Stephan’s intensity. 

Stephan’s latest musical endeavor is a cover of Leon Russell’s “A Song for You,” which is set to be publically released Nov. 13. The singer/songwriter does a wonderful job of making the song her own with unique touches, as well as paying homage to the songs original creator. 

Her voice never wavers, each note maintaining a clear tone and piercing beauty. Stephan matches her dynamics to the piano beautifully, which is exemplified by her incredible lyrical intention on the instrument. 

“I believe this song is one of the greatest when it comes to best-written love songs,“ Stephan said in a press release. "It’s also just not an easy song to cover. Part of me viewed this as a challenge to myself and the other part viewed it as a way to express my respect for what Leon did as a songwriter and musician. Recorded in one take … it forced me to accept the performance with all its nuances just like the song described the acceptance between the two lovers. It ain’t perfect and that’s the beauty of it.”

The song is accompanied by a music video that chronicles the recording process of the song. The video crafts the environment of the recording studio, including Stephan’s otherworldly voice and talent for the piano, as well as moments of stoic reflection. 

Casii Stephan is an incredibly distinct new artist who uses her writing to deconstruct her own beliefs, accompanied by an underlying hope that the future contains change, a journey that she invites her listeners to pursue. 

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu