Artist Spotlight: Delilah Brao turns modern musical style into something classic

Delilah Brao is a Boston-born and Los Angeles-based indie pop singer/songwriter with a penchant for blunt lyrics and bedroom pop instrumentals. She has released eight singles since her debut in 2020 and is set to release her first EP in the coming months. Her most recent single, "Over The Phone," was released in October and serves as an emotive prelude to the upcoming release, “Since You’re In New York.” 

Brao’s upcoming EP was produced by Justin Lucas (Khalid, Alec Benjamin) and mixed by Philip Etherington (FINNEAS, Lizzy McAlpine, Tiny Habits). In the past, Brao has worked with DJ Sabrina the Teenage DJ (credits with The 1975), Lewloh and Josh Polack (formerly Mom Rock). 

The caliber of Brao’s collaborators is not the only indicator of her success – she has garnered various streams on music platforms and been added to many playlists on streaming services, including Spotify’s "Fresh Finds: Pop" and Apple Music’s "New In Indie." Her music has been praised in PAPER Magazine, Stereo Fox, CULTR and more. 

Brao’s discography begins with "Who Is She?," a heavily layered and edited rendition of the bedroom pop style. The song serves as a compelling introduction to her futuristic take on modern musical style and lilting voice. The bridge introduces a theatrical flair to her sound, one that will persist through the rest of her repertoire. 

The first official collaboration in Brao’s list of singles was with Donovan’s Playground and Pink Palace on "Someone To Hold." The song fits in perfectly with the time of its release — the pandemic-fueled era of homemade pop songs. Guitars with an ethereal effect, a rhythmic voice matching the beat and ambient sound effects all combine to create a unique, yet classic track. 

Brao has released two songs in collaboration with SHKHR, a modern musician with a talent for beats. The first song, "Rare," introduces a completely different style to her music. The song borders on folksy while displaying her evolution as an artist into a fuller and more upbeat sound.

The song boasts over a million streams on Spotify and allows her a platform to become more sophisticated while still maintaining her core values. The second song, "I Don't Mind," is heavily pop-influenced, making the shift from cutesy to delicately alluring. The song is a wonderful demonstration of SHKHR’s talents, as well as Brao’s growth. 

Fans of Taylor Swift and her peers in the music industry will enjoy "Dodged a Bullet" and "But Worse" from Brao's collection of singles. The former combines Swift’s energy from "reputation"  and Halsey’s distinguishable vocal fry. The song unveils a darker, more explicit side of Brao’s personality, and she translates it into her music through nonstop lyrical gymnastics, poetic word scheme and a catchy beat. 

"But Worse" is the more ominous version of Swift’s "You Belong With Me," vocalizing all of the venomous thoughts that occur after a particularly gnarly heartbreak. Lyrics like, “I hope she looks like me but worse / Hope she calls you by the name I gave you first,” shed light on those thoughts and destigmatize the initial unfavorable reactions that follow a breakup. 

Brao’s newest single, "Over The Phone," paints a wonderful picture of the singer's lament. The beginning seconds sound as if they are being transmitted through a phone, making listeners’ hearts break for the song's creator upon realizing the story behind the song.

'Over The Phone' is about this guy I dated who broke up with me on FaceTime. The call only lasted five minutes - it’s like he fit it in between episodes of the series we were watching together. It’s grim. We dated for years. But, long distance sucks and the song kind of speaks for itself in that way,” Brao said.  

"Over The Phone" is blunt and to the point, lacking complex lyrics but punching listeners in the gut. It differs from the rest of her work, despite featuring many of the same techniques – ethereal guitars, mournful vocals and echoing harmonies. The song is paired with a music video featuring a very stylish Brao against a hazy, pink sky and New York City skyline. The video depicts her contemplating and meandering around the city while the song plays, creating the perfect aesthetic to match the track. 

Brao is an inexplicably elusive, complicated and loveable new artist. Her first EP will tackle issues of long-distance relationships, heartbreak and beginning again. She possesses the aesthetic of a long-exposure photograph and heavily saturated images, full of life and experience that she is ready to share. 

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu