Fresh Finds Friday: Music from Danny Brown, DIXSON, Kanii

Happy Wednesday! As the end of the week approaches, it's time for another new music round-up. And with the busy holiday season on the horizon, it's a good idea to pause and listen to some new tunes. 

Just this past week, we received new music from Danny Brown, Majid Jordan, Kanii and more.

Here are five new songs you should check out:

"pretty photos" by Kanii

Kanii has shown listeners why he's the one to watch this year, infusing true soul with a level of innocence we often don't hear anymore on the charts. His new single "pretty photos" fits between the productions of big-time artists such as The Weeknd and Michael Jackson. 

You can check out "pretty photos'' on Kanii's new album, "it was nice knowing u." On Instagram, Kanii said, "I hope you all love it (the album). I put hella effort into this project, lmk what u all think. 2024 is our year. "

"Good People / Afterhours" by Majid Jordan

Majid Al Maskati and Jordan Ullman combined to form the Canadian R&B duo Majid Jordan. The OVO Sound signed duo released their new album, "Good People / Afterhours. " It is the deluxe album version of "Good People" released earlier this month. The deluxe edition adds songs such as "Chill Pad Deluxe" and "Tea & Coffee" to take the listener on the same journey, encapsulating the essence of the duo's distinctive style, infusing R&B and different modern influences that creatively break the boundaries of the genre.

"Jenn's Terrific Vacation" by Danny Brown, Kassa Overall

A slowed-down version of "5% TINT" by Travis Scott introduces us to "Jenn's Terrific Vacation," a great title to emphasize a song about gentrification. Over the course of the single, which served as a teaser for the now-released album "Quaranta," rapper Danny Brown tells us the paranoia that comes with rapid change.

He gives us the recollection of his hometown of Detroit and the rapid change gentrification is giving to the city. Brown emphasizes this in the post-chorus: "We move in, move in, move in / You move on out / Where you going to go." The single also features a music video you can watch here.

"FRIENDS" by DIXSON

Four-time Grammy-nominated artist DIXSON brings us his new single "FRIENDS," produced by Camper (the genius behind hits like "ICU.")  DIXSON rings a classic, marking the beginning of his next era as an artist, as his work along with Adam Blackstone is up for consideration at the 2024 Grammy Awards according to an Instagram post

"FRIENDS" is all about making plans well with your friends, evident with the lyrics: "You and your friends / Me and my friends / We can make plans for the night." 

"Life Lessons" by Wyatt Flores

Stillwater native Wyatt Flores navigates the pressure of perfectionism and the beauty of learning from missteps on "Life Lessons." Flores said in an interview with Music Row: "Life Lessons is a series of stopping points in the timeline of my early career, / From carefree to caring so much you wind up feeling alone." 

Throughout life, you learn the lessons, a story of a pursuit of happiness while looking out the rearview mirror.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu