McGrane and Wallace use the past to create a nostalgic folk pop sound

McGrane and Wallace is a new folk-pop duo out of Southern California with no hidden agenda behind their work; the group exists solely out of love for music. On Oct. 25, the duo released their first single, "P.C.H.," which serves as a testament to the culture of California and a love letter to summer nostalgia. 

The path of the duo’s creation is long and winding, beginning with separate roads that converged during the pandemic. DD McGrane is a native of Los Angeles, born and raised in the San Fernando Valley. Her father would spend his after-work hours driving his children to Zuma Beach, which soon became his daughter’s favorite place. As a child, McGrane was inspired by her mother to learn the guitar and became infatuated with musicianship at a young age. Later on, she attended UCLA and began a teaching career, which led to an abandonment of her musical aspirations when coupled with motherhood and the stress of everyday life. 

Halfway across the country, CJ Wallace was growing up in a small town. Surrounded by her sisters, the family sang and danced to entertain each other amid their slow-paced Midwestern life. While Wallace loved growing up in that area, she knew from a young age that she belonged elsewhere. Wallace grew up to pursue a BFA in the theatrical arts before moving to California to pursue her dream. Upon her arrival, she began a career in the medical field to help pay the bills and eventually strayed from her creative passions. 

Many years later, the two ended up living as across-the-street neighbors. During this time, McGrane began to feel the creative spark itching in the back of her mind. Despite her busy existence, she picked up her guitar again and, according to McGrane in a press release, “The songs just came pouring out!”

During the pandemic, she began crafting new music to fill the intangible void that her lack of artistry had created, and sought out a virtual crowd. 

One night, McGrane was scheduled to perform her original songs at a gig over Zoom. Minutes before her scheduled performance time, a power failure hit her side of the street but left Wallace’s house unaffected. In true neighborly kind, Wallace offered up her living room as a performance space, and McGrane’s show went on without a hitch. 

While listening to McGrane’s music, Wallace’s artistic intuition kicked in and inspired her to offer up some harmonies to accompany her neighbors' solid melodies and catchy hooks. Without knowing anything about Wallace’s musical background, McCrane accepted her offer and McGrane and Wallace was born. Both artists believe that the mysterious circumstances surrounding their merging of talents was the design of fate. 

The result of this creative fusion is the duo’s first single, "P.C.H." The purpose of the song is to craft the aesthetic of a simple summer and the hazy stretch of the iconic Pacific Coast Highway, the song's namesake. While the song masterfully manages this nostalgic and optimistic energy, it also serves as a cautionary tale of time’s fleeting nature. The moments that “P.C.H." emulates are never to be recaptured, which encourages listeners to remain in the present. 

The lyrics of the song are simple, yet perfectly achieve the core message of the two performers. The highlight of the song is the blend of McGrane’s low, raspy voice and Wallace’s full and clear upper harmonies. The instrumentals of the song are rooted in tradition, avoiding the electronic flashiness of many modern musicians. The piano, drums and guitar all stand out from each other in their own crisp demonstration, yet blend well together to support the song's vocals. 

"P.C.H." is well structured, featuring a hooking chorus and musically deep verses. The bridge creates a sense of urgency that is associated with a drive through the California mist, reinforcing the intention to drive until it is impossible to drive more.  

The single is accompanied by a lyric video that perfectly captures the essence of the song. A visual effect creates shimmering stars that have come down to an earthly level, providing a visual metaphor for the glow of a California summer. The background image is of a restless ocean splashing onto an ochre-colored beach, with cliffs shrouded by fog in the distance. The lyrics displayed on the screen are accompanied by a pulsating effect that reinforces the track's sense of urgency. 

McGrane and Wallace incorporate an eclectic range of influences into their sound, from rock to folk to Americana, along with hints of retro jazz. The duo's vocal blend showcases their talent and undeniable passion for what they do. While "P.C.H." features the phrase, “You can’t take it back,” the story of McGrane and Wallace is living proof that it is never too late to rekindle old dreams and reclaim the future. 

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu