What We’re Watching: Wes Anderson’s ‘Fantastic Mr. Fox’ is the perfect Thanksgiving film

When you think of Thanksgiving films, chances are films like “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving,” “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles” and maybe even “Addams Family: Values” come to mind. They are classic tales of family values, flavorful food and anticipation for the winter season. While they are all great movies on their own, it’s no secret they are played over and over, year after year on cable TV. 

Weirdly enough, there’s always one film that’s left out of the typical list of Thanksgiving films, that to me, is the perfect combination of the fall aesthetic and comforting atmosphere of the Thanksgiving holiday: Wes Anderson’s 2009 animated family film, “Fantastic Mr. Fox.”

Set in a vibrantly warm world of talking animals, “Fantastic Mr. Fox” tells the same story as the original Roald Dahl children’s book with just as much charm as the source material. In short, a conniving Mr. Fox, who in his youth got away with regularly stealing livestock, pulls one last “big job” before officially retiring. However, it doesn’t go nearly as well as he planned, as the three big bad farmers of the area, Boggis, Bunce and Bean, work hard to capture him. 

With such a simple premise, it’s easy to see how some people may be turned off, thinking it’s a simple children’s film that’s simply made for younger audiences; however, with PG rating, Anderson managed to make a film that tackles marriage, discrimination and consequences in an amazingly breathtaking way that shines with heart and sticks with audiences even after the credits roll. The film utilizes snarky dialogue, quirky editing and funky music to make the viewers feel like part of a family. 

Honestly, that’s one of the best ways to describe just what makes this movie so good. It makes viewers feel comforted, as the entire movie is seeped with love and personality. Plus, with such a star-studded cast of George Clooney, Meryl Streep and Bill Murray, it’s no surprise the film is pristinely acted and a memorable experience from start to finish. Additionally, the visuals of the film are stunning, and with its swift editing and typical Wes Anderson style of cinematography, the film is especially gorgeous and equally memorable.

So, when it comes time for your family to gather at the dinner table adorned with the warm, fall smells of cinnamon and home-cooked turkey, consider putting on this film. Its palette of reds, oranges and yellows juxtaposes perfectly to the atmosphere of the holiday. Its soundtrack of strings, drums and swanky guitar is the ideal sound of gathering; the sounds of friendship and families coming together to enjoy good food and each other's company.

If you haven’t had the chance to see this movie before now, watch it this upcoming Thanksgiving. I believe it’ll be perfect for your family and friends to watch while enjoying each other’s company. It’s available for free on Max or available for purchase on Apple TV and Amazon Prime. 

Mia Ashby is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Mia by emailing her at ma237419@ohio.edu.