A predicted list of nominees for the 66th Grammy Awards

On Nov. 10, nominations for the 66th Grammy Awards will be announced, signaling to music lovers which artists have made the biggest impact in the music industry throughout 2023. From fan favorites to new artists, there will for sure be many upsets this year, with music lovers already predicting who may take home music’s ultimate prize.

With a vast array of contenders, here is a predicted list of nominees for the 66th Grammy Awards:

Album of the Year

“Midnights” by Taylor Swift - Even though this album was extremely controversial amongst Swifties for Taylor Swift’s departure from indie-folk to pop music, it of course became one of the biggest albums of 2022 for its hits “Anti-Hero,” “Lavender Haze,” “Karma” and “Bejeweled.” Additionally, with how insanely massive the singer’s “Eras Tour” was this past summer, Swift is most likely to be nominated in this category for all her success, and obviously, her notoriety.

“SOS” by SZA - Like Swift, SZA also had a massive year after releasing her third studio album “SOS” in late December of 2022. With iconic songs like “Kill Bill,” “Snooze” and “Good Days,” the R&B singer will probably be up for this award as well because of the range she exhibited on the record. Switching from alt-rock to rap to pop, SZA proved she could beat her viral sophomore album “Ctrl,” and make it look easy.

“GUTS” by Olivia Rodrigo - While “GUTS” was released just a week before the Grammy nominations’ cutoff of Sept. 15, it would not be a shocker if Olivia Rodrigo was nominated in this category for her sophomore follow-up to 2021’s “SOUR.” An already beloved Grammy winner, Rodrigo has already received high praise for songs like “bad idea right?” and “get him back!,” which will probably see her earn a spot in this category. However, it may not be Album of the Year due to its similar themes and lyrical content.

“But Here We Are” by Foo Fighters - With the tragic passing of Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins last year, the band released “But Here We Are” in his honor. With some of Hawkins' last recordings, the album is most likely to be a contender in this category simply because of a sensitive comeback from Foo Fighters. While the band has been nominated in the past for this category and has accumulated 15 Grammy Awards, it wouldn’t be right to not nominate this band after the year they’ve had.

“Did you know there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd” by Lana Del Rey - Lana Del Rey was another artist who had a breakout year after releasing “Did you know there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?” Working with producer Jack Antonoff, the singer totally changed direction in her sound, also experimenting with different storylines and genres. From ultimate swagger and drama on “A&W” to the overly sentimental “Margaret (feat. Bleachers),” the singer is one to watch out for this year at the Grammy Awards, as the album will most likely be one of the most nominated bodies of work of the night.

Record of the Year

“Boy’s a Liar Pt. 2” by Pinkpantheress (feat. Ice Spice)” - This song deserves to be nominated this year because of how innovative it was. A hyper-pop rap song, Pinkpantheress and Ice Spice were an unlikely duo to come out of 2023, but their chemistry proved otherwise. Singing about a one-sided relationship, the two were able to make the perfect, catchy track with techno production that was quite memorable all over the world and online.

“Kill Bill” by SZA - Obviously, SZA’s performance skills are unmatched, especially on “Kill Bill.” A song about a psycho killer reeling from a breakup, the production made it feel like you were in the movie the title of the track refers to. With heavy bass, SZA’s silky vocal runs and eerie synths, it was arguably one of 2023’s biggest songs because of all of these elements.

“Flowers” by Miley Cyrus - While Miley Cyrus’s “Endless Summer Vacation” was by no means a standout album from this year, its lead single “Flowers” was. As one of the top songs of the year on the Billboard Hot 100 and other charts, the singer could definitely win this category for how much traction her self-empowerment anthem received throughout 2023. Also, Cyrus’s vocals and production were on point in this track, using her lower register to sing about heartbreak and redemption.

“Anti-Hero” by Taylor Swift - Again, Swift will probably also rack up most of the night’s nominations, and Record of the Year is for sure to be one of them because of “Anti-Hero.” Stripping back production to just a synth rhythm, the singer’s vocals weave up and down a higher octave to create a wistful and worrisome tone, as the song is all about Swift’s insecurities. A standout record for its lyrics and catchiness as well, Swift will be nominated for her penmanship once again with this track.

“Dance The Night” by Dua Lipa - A song from one of the biggest movies of the year, Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie,” Dua Lipa may surprisingly be nominated for “Dance The Night” because of how viral it became overnight. With Dua Lipa’s strong alto and disco-tech production, this song instantly feels like you’re being transported back to the 1970s. Even if it lacks seriousness, it probably will earn a nomination for its production and performance by the singer.

Best Alternative Music Album

“This Is Why” by Paramore - After a six-year hiatus, Paramore returned with their sixth studio album, “This Is Why.” A return to their pop-punk sound, the band truly expanded on their production skills and lyrical content on tracks like “The News,” “C’est Comme Ça” and “Crave.” It deserves a nomination obviously for lead singer Hayley Williams' stunning vocal abilities, but also the band’s notable chemistry and fluidity throughout its 10 tracks.

“Desire, I Want To Turn Into You” by Caroline Polachek - Caroline Polachek shocked the world with her boisterous, energetic sophomore album “Desire, I Want To Turn Into You” this past February. An album that truly explored Polachek’s grappling with her self-identity after her father’s death and the COVID-19 pandemic, she captivated listeners with songs like “Welcome To My Island” and “Pretty In Possible.” With an impressive soprano and influence of Irish and Scottish sounds, this record is one to nominate in this category for its expansiveness and innovative qualities.

“10,000 gecs” by 100 gecs - Even though 100 gecs could be classified as an electronic duo, they should at least earn a nomination for Best Alternative Music Album because of how weird and wild “10,000 gecs” was. Not unusual for members Laura Les and Dylan Brady, the album felt like an acid trip through the duo’s perspective of the world and society, making it an introspective yet highly unserious record, which the industry needs more of.

“And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow” by Weyes Blood - Released at the end of 2022, Weyes Blood received much praise for their fifth album, “And in the Darkness, Hearts Aglow.” Earning an 8.4 from Pitchfork, a hard feat to earn nowadays, the singer took to orchestral arrangements and songs about love to reinvent her sound. An album full of lush production and deeper meaning, Weyes Blood should be considered for this award just because of its emotional depth.

“the record” by boygenius - boygenius is another band that many music critics have kept an eye on throughout the year following the release of their first album, “the record.” What made this album so good was the range of songs that each aligned with members Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker’s vocal abilities and musical styles. From songs about heartbreak and destruction to ones about falling in love, the album explored many different emotions that accurately described one’s 20s.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu