The best albums of 2023 proves range of diverse perspectives in music

Recently, music publications like Rolling Stone and Pitchfork released their end of year lists, ranking the best albums of 2023. From stunning newcomers to established artists, this year’s list has been an interesting listening experience for all, proving who was and was not willing to expand in their sound.

Here’s a list of the best albums of 2023:

“This Is Why” by Paramore

For music lovers who have an infatuation with the emo scene of the early 2000s, Paramore is adored for their nostalgic punk rock sound. In February, the trio of Hayley Williams, Zac Farro and Taylor York released their sixth studio album, titled “This Is Why,” which was a departure from the 1980s-disco influence of 2017’s “After Laughter.” What made this album a standout was the band’s intense sense of introspection and growth, especially after taking a six-year hiatus.

With songs that discuss the rise of misinformation in media like “The News” and ones that see Williams reflect on the early days of Paramore like “Crave,” this album is overall flawless and comprehensive, fitting feelings like nostalgia, heartbreak, regret and resolution all in the span of 10 songs.

“the record” by boygenius

Another impressive record was the release of boygenius’ album in March, titled “the record.” After long speculation that members Phoebe Bridgers, Julien Baker and Lucy Dacus were collaborating on a new project during the COVID-19 pandemic, the trio surprised everyone with an album that highlights each of their strengths, evident on songs like “$20,” “Not Strong Enough” and “Cool About It.”

It was also a symbol of queer representation and storytelling, as the group has become widely known for embracing their sexualities in the public eye and on stage. As one of the more diverse acts coming from 2023, boygenius proved its keen sense of the world by addressing issues like capitalism, mental health and relationship norms, making them worthy of everyone’s attention.

“The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess” by Chappell Roan

Chappell Roan was widely unheard of at this time last year, but throughout 2023, she has become a voice to pay attention to. Releasing her debut album “The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess” in September, the singer has become beloved for her vocal stance on queerness and representation in the music industry. An album all about Roan’s personal and sexual awakening since her start in music, each song tells a different story. 

While some are exotic and silly like “HOT TO GO!” and “Super Graphic Ultra Modern Girl,” Roan also is extremely poetic and vulnerable on tracks such as “Casual,” “Coffee,” “Pink Pony Club” and “Guilty Pleasure.” This element of the album has made it one of the more unique records to drop this year, with Roan straying away from traditional pop themes that typically are associated with love and being an adult.

“PARANOÏA, ANGELS, TRUE LOVE” by Christine and the Queens

A relatively underground release this year was Christine and the Queens’ fifth studio album, titled “PARANOÏA, ANGELS, TRUE LOVE.” Released in June, the singer transformed completely in his sound, branching away from the pop synths that once hindered him. Instead, this record is an allusion to Tony Kushner’s play “Angels in America,” with the singer using its themes of community and change and tying them back into their own personal journey of acceptance.

Even with a long tracklist, this album had noteworthy breakout songs and collaborations, including the gut-wrenching “To be honest” and the majestic appearances of Madonna on “Angels crying in my bed,” “I met an angel” and “Lick the light out.” Overall, this album may not have been a massive success in the mainstream, but was one that perfectly encapsulated the thoughts of doubt, fear and success that come with finding your true self.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu