GLIDDEN VIA The California State University

Robert Glidden, OU's 19th president, dies at 87

Robert Glidden, former president of Ohio University, died at age 87 Tuesday morning after a fall. 

Glidden served as OU’s 19th president from July 1994 to July 2004. Before that, he was Florida State University’s Provost, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the School of Music. Robert Glidden Hall, the music building on campus, was named for Glidden upon his retirement.

According to a message from his family, he “had an accomplished career as a musician, educator and higher education administrator and positively impacted students, colleagues and friends.”

Born in Grand Junction, Iowa, he completed his bachelor’s, master’s and Ph.D. at the University of Iowa. His passing sparked tributes from across the nation about his impact.

“He was an amazing man and we bonded throughout his presidency and after — always working for the benefit of Ohio University,” Tom Hodson, former director of the E. W. Scripps School of Journalism and WOUB Public Media, said. “His intelligence, breadth of knowledge, curiosity and passions for his causes were beyond impressive. He was one of my heroes.” 

According to a previous Post report from March 1994, Glidden was chosen for OU’s presidency due to his integrity, fundraising skills and management style. 

“Dr. Glidden has a warmth and a comfortableness about him,” then-Chairwoman of the Board of Trustees Charlotte Coleman Eufinger said in that same report. “People find him easy to talk to. They will want to listen to his ideas just because of his personality.”

His family said a Celebration of Life concert will be scheduled later, and that in lieu of flowers, the family asks for donations to the Grace Episcopal Church Music Fund or the Rockbridge Area Relief Association.

@katie_millard11

km053019@ohio.edu

Katie Millard

Editor-in-Chief