Artist Spotlight: Cooper Phillip brings R&B-infused pop to another level 

Cooper Phillip has distinguished herself over the past decade as an empowering and soulful pop singer/songwriter with a rich background and career. Her newest single, a '90s-inspired downtempo R&B track called "She's A Player," was released Jan. 24. 

About the new song, Phillip said, "I wrote 'She's A Player' about looking to fall in love and found that by finding my own empowerment and ultimate acceptance, I essentially found the greatest love is one from within." 

Phillip was born in the Russian city of Saratov and spent most of her childhood in the care of her aunt and grandmother while her mother toured as a classical violinist. Inspired by her mother's work and gifted with natural talent, Phillip learned the piano and harp at a young age, all while honing her voice in choir.  

While solidifying her musical background, Phillip divided her listening time between composers like Tchaikovsky and Puccini and vocal visionaries Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston. She also enrolled in the prestigious Moscow State Classical Academy, studying piano, music theory, harp, jazz, blues, voice and ballet. 

At 19, Phillip was invited to New York City by some friends and started singing anywhere she could, from local clubs to weddings. The singer said, "I was in survival mode, just hustling, learning and struggling." After her time in the city, Phillip accepted an opportunity to record in Los Angeles, where she is currently based. 

Phillip's first song, "Silence," was released in 2014. The track is a devastating ballad, rich with Phillip's profound vocal talent of depth and enchantment. The song features a unique melody, all while maintaining the classic ballad sound. The piano accompaniment keeps the song grounded as Phillip's voice spans octaves, rivaling the likes of Adele and Celine Dion. 

Only two years after "Silence," Phillip released "Party By Myself," a hit song with over 1.6 million streams on Spotify. Her next big hit, "Not Perfect," in 2020, has over 560,000 Spotify streams. "Party By Myself" offers the flipside of Phillip's discography, much more pop-sounding and exciting than "Silence." The song maintains a mellow yet hype aesthetic that comes to fruition at the beat drop in the chorus. "Not Perfect" is a jazzier song, filled with groovy beats and creative lyrics. The song showcases her variety of pop sounds, as well as a continued demonstration of her vocal prowess. 

Other notable releases from the artist include 2021's "Head Over Heels," which received praise from outlets like WONDERLAND. and American Songwriter. The next year, Phillip's track "Masterpiece" was acclaimed by Digital High, Celeb Mix and The Fox Magazine. "Head Over Heels" features enthusiastic trumpets, emblematic of Bruno Mars during his peak in the 2010s, as well as clean and impressive vocal riffs. "Masterpiece" falls under a similar category of sunny soundscapes and touches of R&B, the style in which Phillip excels. 

"She's A Player" is the first in a set of singles due for release in 2024, through which she plans to continue surpassing herself on a global scale. The song features smooth and seductive vocals, full of soul and intrigue. Her voice ranges from delicate to bold and strong, both technically flawless versions. The song features an echoing background effect that gives the song depth and the undeniable influence of Mariah Carey. 

"I went through some quiet time of transformation, but I know what I truly am as an artist now. I'm making honest music and talking about things that matter," she said. 

At the core of Phillip's music lies an uplifting message: "I'm just a free soul with lots of ideas on how to make this world a happier place. When you listen to me, I hope you take away self-observation and power. I want you to know you can listen to your gut and your heart. Believe, create, be happy and make your own decisions. I want to show you it's possible to be strong.“

The artist hopes to convey her message through her soaring voice and unapologetic attitude as she breaks boundaries within pop music and culture. 

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu