Fresh Finds Friday: Green Day, Mumford & Sons make comebacks

Happy Friday! With the end of the week in sight, it's time to listen to new tunes. This past week, we have new music from Green Day, Mumford & Sons and more.

Here are five new songs you should check out:

"The American Dream Is Killing Me" by Green Day

After 30 years, we're still being punked by the band that gave us an album titled "Dookie." Now, Green Day is back with "Saviors," and "The American Dream Is Killing Me" leads the album off with the hot trends of the past few years, such as gentrification, TikTok trends, taxes, Donald Trump and unemployment. This one is for everyone who feels so tired of these topics being in the mainstream among people who don't seem to care that it's killing Billie Armstrong and probably many others too.

"Good People" by Mumford & Sons, Pharrell Williams

British folk band Mumford & Sons, known for their hits such as "Little Lion Man" and "I Will Wait," haven't released music since 2019. Now a trio rather than a quartet after the departure of banjo player and guitarist Winston Marshall in 2021, the band has returned with its new single "Good People." 

With vocal assistance from Pharrell Williams, frontman Marcus Mumford said, "We talked about how change doesn't come without a revelation first, and it felt like we were ready to write a song that felt quite connected to how we were feeling and racing some soulful level." 

"DOA" by ericdoa

Described as "the face of digicore," is 21-year-old producer ericdoa, a genre-bender using very cloudy-feeling soundscapes and synth melodies. His style is evident in songs like "lastjune" and "dancinwithsomebawdy," which he adopts for much of his new album "DOA." Released Jan. 15, it's a departure from what traditionally is his abrasive production style. 

In a press release with NME, the producer said, “'DOA' is a reassertion of what redefines the edges of his reckless abandon or decaying of immaturity.”

"Penith (The DAVE Soundtrack)" by Lil Dicky

Some know him as Dave from his television show "Dave,” while others know him as American rapper Lil Dicky for hits such as "$ave Dat Money (feat. Fetty Wap & Rich Homie Quan)," "Classic Male Pregame" and "Professional Rapper (feat. Snoop Dogg)." 

Lil Dicky returned with his first album in over a decade titled "Penith," which doubles as a soundtrack to "Dave.” The album acts as a soundtrack to a real-life play on art imitating life. Songs such as "HAHAHA" off the album have Dicky "redefining the alpha male" to rapping about not eating fruits or vegetables on "No Fruits Or Vegetables." 

Lil Dicky has always defied the genre with comedic lyricism. If you're into that, "Penith" is for you.

"F*ck My Life Up Again” by Marcus King

Last week, blues singer/songwriter Marcus King shared with us his new song, "F*ck My Life Up Again." Here, he focuses more on his vocals, all on a carefully crafted rhythm, with bongos, lush string arrangements and shimmering organ parts.

King, who grew up Christian, stated in an interview with BroadwayWorld that he wasn't quite sure about recording the record: "I was hesitant to record a song with such a foul word in it given my southern, Christian upbringing, but there were no other words I could find to capture the emotion I felt.” 

The new track is an emotion of missing someone you really loved and wanting them to return desperately.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu