Forward Jack Glen (24) gets ready to face off against Kent State at Bird Arena in Athens, Ohio Dec. 8, 2023

Hockey: Ohio's energy, heart earn staggering 10-2 victory

Ohio is on yet another win streak after its sweep of Oswego State last weekend. The environment of Bird Arena was not dampened by the shoddy weather, as Ohio University students cheered on the Bobcats in their first game with students having returned to campus. The Bobcats had a fire under their skates, securing a 10-2 victory against Toledo, thanks to increased energy levels and a sense of togetherness. Head Coach Lionel Mauron said he believes the newfound energy is giving them a leg-up in games.

“There’s a great energy in the room,“ he said. "The last two or three weeks of practice have been awesome, and then in games, we have been winning. So it’s fun, it’s like wildfire, and we had never really been able to see that in the first semester."

The first period was action-packed as the Bobcats gained a sizable 5-point lead with ease. Drew Gardner, a rookie who has been on the rise, scored the first goal of the night just 2 minutes into the period. Gardner has scored at least a point in Ohio’s past five games, an impressive turnaround from his more stagnant mid-season performance. Moments later, Andrew Wells, who scored two goals in last weekend’s series, put another one on the board for the Bobcats. Luc Reeve and Barron Stibbe followed that up with goals of their own. Stibbe’s was particularly impressive, as he scooped the puck into the top corner of the net, a move popularized by former University of Michigan player, Connor Bedard. Laker Aldridge capped off the first period with a goal assisted by Reeve. Reeve had an impressive night as well, earning 4 total points with his goal and 3 assists. Reeve continues to lead the team in points.

“It’s not like a huge factor with our team, but it is a really good feeling to have,” said Reeve.

The second period saw the Rockets scoring their first goal of the evening, putting a temporary hindrance on the Bobcats' hot start. Reeve, Stibbe and Mauron all agreed that there was a bit more of a struggle in the middle of the period, but nothing that was impossible to overcome. 

“In the second when things got a little scrappy, that was when we were at our worst,“ Stibbe said. "They probably know that, so now we can avoid doing that."

Before Toledo was able to break through the defense, Ohio tacked more onto its lead. Aldridge scored two more goals — earning him a hat trick for the evening. He has always been a prolific scorer for the Bobcats, with 17 goals already this season.

Mathieu Ovaert, who has the second-most points on the team, also added another to his total. Drake Albers and Ovaert added two more goals in the third period, despite another retaliation from Toledo. Ohio has been winning by larger and larger margins as the season has progressed, which Mauron attributes to its heightened sense of togetherness as a team, as well as its depth.

“I think we are really starting to click,“ Mauron said. "We have four very good lines and defensemen who can score too. I think everyone is starting to find their groove, and I think it’s always cool when you go to the second semester because you have no true freshmen. Everybody is getting adjusted, and I think that’s our strength."

Looking to Saturday’s game, Reeve said he believes the Bobcats can replicate Friday’s performance, mainly because of what they have now found within themselves.

“We were probably at our best this game and last weekend,“ Reeve said. "We are actually willing to give that extra 10% that we weren’t willing to give the whole rest of the year. We were doing the right thing, but we didn’t have any heart within it, and I think we’re starting to get a bit more of that.”

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor