Letter to the Editor: Dear “Darn it, Daniel”

Hello Daniel Gorbett. My name is Autumn Warren. I am an Outdoor Pursuits employee and Athens, Ohio enthusiast. I am graduating this spring and after living here for three years, I would love to share with you why exactly OU certainly is fun. I empathize with your stance on the assertion that Ohio University is a fun party school, and would agree that it actually is not. Oftentimes the parties are exactly as you described. But, I urge you to cast your gaze wider than the Ohio University campus and the ruins that are Court Street.

Look up from your gaming device of choice and notice the vibrant community culture. People here care about one another. They are kind. They are connected to their environment. Outdoor Pursuits happens to be an excellent portal of involvement to this culture. 

Here at Outdoor Pursuits, we run life-changing and important trips of all kinds --- my favorite being backpacking --- that connect students to one another and the Earth. Many natural spaces in Athens exist for those with an ignited love of the outdoors such as Strouds Run State Park, Sells Park, the Ridges and more if you’re willing to do some wandering. 

We introduce many to climbing, which happens to be an awesome scene in the Athens community, and they go on to climb in local spots not too far from campus. 

If you are lucky enough to make friends with an upperclassman at the wall that has a car, you can be at Blockhouse Bouldering Gym or Sells Park to boulder in under 15 minutes. I too have a certain level of disdain when I see a giant man with huge biceps in a climbing setting, but you simply must assert your right to be there, as you are equally as welcome. Their presence is not a threat to your own.

If climbing isn’t your thing, perhaps you can explore local events and businesses. The Athens Farmers Market on East State St., Athens Public Library, the bike path, The Union for music (where 19-year-olds are in fact allowed), the Athens Community Center with a community pool and awesome skate park, Rural Action programming, Donkey Coffee and Espresso which holds free shows almost weekly and Jackie O’s open mic nights to name a few. Broaden your understanding of your life here at Ohio University and see yourself as an Athens community member in addition to OU student. 

Maybe even give back by volunteering at awesome local places/events like the Pawpaw Festival, Skate Jam, Sojourners Resiliency Center, Passion Works Studio, Nelsonville Music Festival, Rural Action, local animal shelters and more. Hot tip: doing this helps you get jobs that aren’t terrible. Also, it helps teach you about the significance of residing in Appalachia.

Your first year at college is often hard and I remember feelings of loneliness in that time. When I looked beyond Ohio University, I found my home in Athens. When my home was found, I realized OU actually is a really great resource to get into new things that interested me. 

Take the PAW and REC courses. Make friends with community members that are not students. Talk to them about their jobs and their lives. Care about your classes. Be passionate about your learning.  Start saying yes to things you normally wouldn’t. Know that your time here is valuable and you ought to milk the University for every cent you are paying them. Give back to the people whose home you are now a part of. 

Athens is a community where you can make your family; whatever that means to you. I wish you the best as you continue on your endeavors and I hope to see you around.

Best,

Autumn Warren

Athens Lover and future long-time resident