Ultimate guide to attending music festivals in 2024

In the past few weeks, numerous music festivals have announced their lineups for this spring and summer. Going to a music festival is high on the bucket list of many music lovers. Festivals allow you to see several of your favorite artists all in one weekend and are a great way to discover new music. 

Tickets for these festivals can average around $200 to $600, so it's important to know which ones are worth your money. 

The well-known festival, Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, announced its lineup last week, including headliners Lana Del Ray, Tyler, the Creator and Doja Cat. Unlike many other festivals, Coachella lasts two weekends — April 12 -14 and April 19-21 – with general admission passes starting at $499.

The event takes place in Coachella Valley in Indio, California, and festival-goers can stay onsite in camps and lodges. The most popular and affordable option is car camping, which allows one vehicle, excluding RVs and motorhomes, to a 30-foot-by-10-foot expensive camping site: $149 plus fees

For the same price, Coachella guests can camp in tents in 10-foot-by-15-foot grass spots, with overnight parking available across the street for vehicles. Both camping options allow for as many guests as can comfortably fit and can be upgraded to preferred parking, which is closer to festival grounds, at $375 plus fees.

More luxurious options, such as the Safari Campgrounds and The Resort, are also available but expensive and in limited supply.

Another great festival centered around peace, love and community, is taking place in Manchester, Tennessee from June 13 to June 16. Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival recently announced its eclectic lineup on Jan. 9, featuring headliners Pretty Lights, Fisher, Post Malone, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Fred Again.

This festival is ideal for night owls as the main venue, Centeroo, stays open 24/7. In addition to live music, Bonnaroo boasts many activities and events, including the Roo Run annual 5k, a "big a--" inflatable water slide and even a wedding chapel.

General admission passes for Bonnaroo start at $435, with camping options starting at $110 for cars and tents in the Community Camps. For groups of 24 or more, Groop Camping is available for $60 and ensures a custom-named campsite and parking for all members. Prices for upgraded lodging, such as RVs, luxury tents and nearby hotels are available on the website.

The Governors Ball Music Festival announced its lineup last week and is scheduled to take over New York City from June 7 to June 9 with headliners Post Malone, Rauw Alejandro, The Killers, 21 Savage, SZA and Peso Pluma.

General admission tickets for all three days start at $330, with 1-day tickets available for $150 and two-day tickets for $250. 

While Governors Ball doesn't provide a camping ground, nearby hotels can be booked through the festival's website. 

Shaky Knees Music Festival announced its lineup in November, hosting headliners Noah Kahan, Weezer, Queens of the Stone Age and Foo Fighters. The festival takes place in Atlanta early this summer from May 3-5, with general admission tickets starting at $365 for all three days and $165 for one day. Nearby hotels can be booked through the festival's website. 

Finally, there's no better place to kick off your summer than the beach. Hangout Music Festival takes place on the sand in Gulf Shores, Alabama, from May 17-19 with headliners Zach Bryan, Lana Del Ray and Odesza. 

General admission tickets for Hangout Fest are currently $339 and include access to designated swimming areas along the beach.  

kenziecake8

kc389422@ohio.edu