Darn it, Daniel: Why OU isn’t fun

I have spent one semester at Ohio University. After going home for Winter Break, I concluded that you can go just about anywhere in Ohio. You get the same experience no matter where you are. OU is no exception, so here is why I do not think OU is fun.

I have gotten halfway through the school year and I feel the same about OU as I did at the start — it is weird and I think it is fine. Just fine. The other day I got caught not using the Brita filter, and I am sorry to my fellow man, but I just cannot wait another 10 minutes for Brita-clean water. Let’s be honest; it is all the same water as the sink or the shower, other than the fact that the shower water smells funny. 

Everyone talks about how great OU is, but it is the same as any other part of Ohio. I would even go as far as to say it is worse. It is mostly bars and I am 19 years old, so I obviously cannot go into any of them. 

Also, it is the number one party school, but the parties I have been to have just been a bunch of people who look like lost puppies who are happy to have left their beds as they wait for a sophomore who calls himself a DJ to figure out how to connect to a massive Bluetooth speaker.

At the beginning, I thought I should start going to the gym. So I put on my tank top, grabbed my sweat towel and my G-fuel because it is the closest thing I have to pre-workout (I am a gamer). When I got there, I was met by a dude with biceps the size of my head. I decided I was going to be a rock climber. 

Yes, we have a rock wall, and it is cool. You know what is not cool? Having to dangle there as they slowly bring you down while you wear elf shoes and the tightest harness of your life. What am I supposed to do, twiddle my thumbs until they set me down? I also have to wait 10 minutes before I can get another chance at making it halfway up the wall until I get too scared and tell the guy who has my life in his hands that I’m not coming down and I do not trust him.

Other than bars, parties and exercise, what am I supposed to do, eat food? I have gone to Whit’s three times this week to reward myself for my hard work with a sweet treat. We need something cool to do. 

There are only two differences between OU and my hometown: OU does not have a Target or a run-down mall with laser tag inside. The other difference is that my roommate yells at me because I refuse to call people but exclusively use voice messages to communicate with people. When I speak loudly and aggressively into the microphone to make sure they hear me, he says it, “disrupts his study time.”

So, if someone out there wants to be my OU tour guide and show me a fun time that’s not getting food and watching a movie, please email me. I am bored.

Daniel Gorbett is a freshman at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Daniel know by emailing him at dg371822@ohio.edu