Episode Recap: 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians' rushes the plot

Warning, spoilers ahead:

Episode 7: "We Find Out the Truth, Sort Of"

Last week, Nereid gave Percy four pearls that are safe passages out of the Underworld. Percy is confused that he was given four, considering it was just him, Annabeth, and Grover on the quest. Nereid ended the episode by saying, "Save the world, then go save your mother.”

This week's episode, "We Find Out the Truth, Sort Of," opens with Percy entering a mattress store, Crusty's Water Bed Palace. The store owner is Procrustes, a demigod who is also the son of Poseidon and the murderer of travelers. Procrustes, or Crusty, keeps trying to tell Percy to try out the beds because it will make him "fit" because fitting in has always been hard for demigods like them. Annabeth, using her invisible Yankees cap, shoves Crusty onto a bed and he becomes trapped. Percy, Annabeth and Grover find the entrance to the Underworld in the back of the store. 

The episode transitions to show young Percy and his mother arguing over Percy's new school. She tells Percy that while he may not want to go to the new school, she has to make choices for him that he may not understand. 

In the present time, Percy, Annabeth and Grover attempt to cross the river to the Underworld, despite not being dead. They offer to pay Charon, the ferryman, drachmas, but he ignores the payment and calls for the Cerberus, a giant three-headed dog who guards the gates of Hades.

The Cerberus chases them away from the entrance, but Grover is attacked. Annabeth distracts the Cerberus, and it falls asleep. Grover crawls out of the Cerberus's mouth, surviving the attack. Annabeth tosses a red squeaking ball to Percy, immediately catching the attention of the Cerberus. Percy throws the ball into the river below, and the Cerberus runs off. As the three escape, Grover loses his pearl passage out of the Underworld and realizes the Cerberus ate it. 

In transitioning back to young Percy and his mother, the school counselor is concerned about Percy's drawings and visions. The counselor suggested that Percy be homeschooled, stating that some children need to be with their parents. 

Back in the Underworld, Percy assures Grover he will be able to return home from the Underworld. The Cerberus roars in the background, causing the group to split up. When Percy and Grover find Annabeth, she is being held down by the roots of the Underworld. The roots bound souls that have made regretful decisions in life. She tells them to go on without her because she will distract the Cerberus. Annabeth stays behind and uses her pearl to escape the Underworld. 

As Percy and Grover continue to the Underworld, Grover is suddenly pulled by a strong force; his magical shoes are being sucked into a pit below them. When they are thrown back from the force, they hear a metallic sound come from Percy's bag. Inside was the master bolt. 

It is revealed the bag Percy had was given to him by Ares, and they suspect Ares had the bolt. Grover says finishing the quest is going to have to wait, and that they need to go get Percy's mother. 

Percy and Grover arrive at Hades' palace and meet Hades, portrayed by Jay Duplass. Hades agrees to take Percy to his mother, but she is frozen in solid gold. Hades tells Percy he will give him his mother if he gets what he wants. Percy refuses to give Hades the bolt, but Hades is confused about what Percy is talking about. 

Hades thought Percy had his Helm of Darkness because it went missing days before someone stole the master bolt. Percy says Kronos holds the most grudges, so he believes Kronos would have a reason to steal the master bolt. Hades tells Percy to ask him for sanctuary because if Kronos is awakening for war, he will need to be safe somewhere. The only catch is Percy handing over the master bolt. 

Percy agrees to get Hades his Helm of Darkness, not for sanctuary, but to save his mother. Grover and Percy disappear from the Underworld using their magical pearls. 

In another transition to the past, Percy's mother makes an offering to the gods with her milkshake at the bar. A man shows up and sits down next to her. This is the first the audience sees Percy’s father, Poseidon. She tells Poseidon she wants to take Percy to camp to be safe. 

Poseidon says he will meet Percy when he is ready and when Percy knows who he is and where he belongs. Poseidon says that on that day, he will be on his side. The ending shot is Percy unsheathing Riptide because he sees Ares approaching them, ready to fight. 

This week's episode feels rushed, considering all the different things in the book. The episode is named after Chapter 19 but also pulls content from Chapters 16 and 17. A big change from the interaction at the mattress store is the gate to the Underworld. The gate is not in the shop but in a recording studio a few blocks away. 

Another change is the interaction with Charon. In the book, he does not release the Cerberus on Percy, Annabeth and Grover. He lets them cross the river in the Underworld, drops them off at the gate, and leaves them there for the Cerberus. The Cerberus attacks them in the book because they are not dead, but at least the minor detail of the ball is included in the show. 

Something done correctly in the series is Hades accusing Percy of stealing his Helm of Darkness. The difference with the interaction with Hades in the book is that Hades is more hostile toward Percy. The series should have expanded on what they were given from these three chapters in the book. There are too many details to include in a short brief, but reading the chapters from the book is worth it. 

The season finale, "The Prophecy Comes True," will be released Jan. 30 and can be streamed on Disney+ at 9 p.m. EST.

Rating: 3/5 

ashleypomplas

ap125920@ohio.edu