TV Review: 'The Crown' Season Six Part Two is a meaningful goodbye

In the second half of season six of The Crown, we are introduced to the modern age of the British royal family. In a post-Princess Diana monarchy, we see how her death and life have impacted the image of the royal family, especially Prince William. 

This part focuses on Prince William's emergence as the royal family's face—his growth in popularity, especially with his attributes that remind the public of Diana. 

We also see the blossoming of Prince William and Kate Middleston's relationship. Season six closed the series by introducing the present events and state of the royal family, leaving the audience with a sense of nostalgia and recognition for what will come after. 

The Plot 

The story centers on the tumultuous relationship between Prince William and Prince Charles. In episode five, "Willsmania," 15 year old Prince William is thrown into the limelight during the age of teen heartthrobs and the rising presence of social media. 

William and Harry's trauma and hatred for the media are explored throughout this part. One scene includes a verbal disagreement between Charles and William on needing to pose for pictures for the press on a family vacation. 

William holds a great deal of resentment against Prince Charles for Diana's death and their relationship with each other. He believes Diana would still be alive had Charles been a dutiful and faithful husband. 

Prince Charles attempts to be a more present father in Prince William's life while Williams grows increasingly popular among young girls. We see the points of view of many of his adoring fans, who each write him a letter; some with suggestive messages and others who are understanding, sympathetic and relate to his circumstances. 

Prince William truly resembles his mother. From his shy disposition to his eventual adaption to the role of a public figure—despite Charles' insurance that he is nothing like his mother. 

Prince Harry shows off a sense of rebellion within the constrictions of the royal family. While showcasing how much of their life has changed since Diana's death, their usual playful antics on plane rides, like throwing paper balls and having play fights, are showcased as nuisances and ignored by Prince Charles. 

Queen Elizabeth grapples with whether she is too old to be monarch. The pressure from the public, who want a leader who represents their concerns and hopes and understands the issues of the upcoming generation, is intensifying. 

High-interest topics about the royal family, including Prince William and Kate Middleton's relationship, are also explored this season. We see the infamous sheer dress and runway show that made William look at Kate in a way that was more than just friends. 

We also see the wedding of Prince Phillip and Camila Parker-Bowles, Queen Elizabeth's blessing and the complicated feelings of Prince William and Prince Harry. 

The show also briefly covers controversial events like Prince Harry wearing a Nazi German Afrika Korps uniform to a "Colonials and Natives" party.

The Royal Family are people too

This season has greatly humanized the royal family, especially Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry. 

In the second part of the season, we see Charles try to be a loving father to William. He asks people for advice and goes to his parents for help. He is persistent in his goal of not only bettering his relationship with William but seemingly helping him. 

The interactions between Prince William and Prince Harry display their brotherhood and emphasize the different ways they carry their burdens. Prince William is shy and gentle in his disposition and faces scrutiny as heir of the kingdom. 

Prince Harry is wilder and free-spirited. While mischievous and rebellious, he is also shut down and ignored more than William. When talking to the boys about their father's wishes to marry Camilla, Queen Elizabeth outwardly only engages William for his opinion and blessing, completely ignoring the opinions of Prince Harry. 

Harry is pushed to the back even in matters of his mind. His mischievous nature shows his fight to be heard, perfectly contrasting with William. It is interesting to see William, who has little to say, pressured to be a voice of the people. 

While William hides, Harry ensures he is involved and interacts with people. Both balance and encourage each other. William is a voice of wisdom and Harry is a voice of motivation, often pushing William to get out of his way. 

The portrayal of the princes is very respectful. It integrates the feelings and expectations that will lead to present-day events like Harry's negative portrayals in the media. In a conversation between Harry and William in episode seven, "Alma Mater," Harry expresses to William the contrast between how he is portrayed in the media versus William. 

There was a blatant disregard for Harry's autonomy and a desire to make William the star of the royal family. 

There was also a focus on brotherhood and sisterhood in this part. Along with Harry and William's relationship, we see Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret grow close. 

We are given a glimpse into the memory of Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret, who snuck out of Buckingham Palace to celebrate World War ll's ending. We see how bonded they were until Queen Elizabeth's final goodbye to her sister. 

Overall, this season was meaningful

This may not have been the best season of the show, but it was one of the most meaningful seasons of "The Crown." Part one took many historical legacies and narrative choices in its narration. However, it gave depth to people who are typically not involved in narrating their lives. 

Part two honored Prince William in the same way. There is a lack of relationship between Prince William and the public. Not much about him is shared beyond Twitter hashtags and tabloids. Seeing him, not as he is known now, but as what he may have faced behind the scenes, humanizes him. Seeing him overcome trauma and become more confident allows people to relate to him more. 

This season allowed people to understand the intricate details of what shaped the royal family. The people of the U.K. and the countries of the Commonwealth should know those who will rule Britain. 

"The Crown" is popular because it gives people an understanding of who the royal family could be as humans. Something important as a leader of a country. 

As this season closes out on a magnificent series, thanks are for the legacy and effect the show had on the understanding of the intricacies of the royal family and the dilemmas of the people of the U.K. 

The world of The Crown was a detailed and masterfully done introduction to the lives, concerns, hardships and experiences of the citizens of Great Britain. 

Rating: 3.7/5

@Nyla_Gilbert_

ng972522@ohio.edu