Artist Spotlight: Skateland reinvents bedroom pop with riveting production

Skateland represents the merging of resourceful, lo-fi bedroom pop with an exciting mastery of pop production. The artist's discography is rich with examples of this combination, including his newest single, "Autobahn!" 

Skateland is the professional name of Dorian William II, a singer, songwriter, producer and multi-instrumentalist. Williams moved from Las Vegas to Austin, Texas, to pursue a degree at the University of Texas. There, he began writing songs and instrumentally experimenting, and that’s when Skateland was born. 

The Skateland style combines melancholy lyrics with new-wave instrumentation. The addition of modern pop production techniques and the influence of various artists have created a distinct and unique approach through which Skateland's music transcends time. His lyrics are deeply personal and often based on his past experiences. 

"I take emotions or feelings that I've gathered from certain experiences and package them into a format that's accessible to anyone who listens," Williams said. "I think that's why I love writing and recording music in non-traditional places as opposed to a fancy studio, writing a guitar part on my porch, jotting down song lyrics at a bar or cafe, tracking vocals in my bedroom, etc., it feels like returning to the scene of that major life event and there's an emotional power in that." 

Skateland's self-produced debut EP, "New Wave Revival," was released in early 2023. The six-track collection contains two lead singles, "Misery Hour" and "As the Father, so the Son." 

The former is an ethereal track, replete with echoing voices and undulating instrumentation. The deeply personal lyrics, variety of instruments and exploration of different vocal qualities create a moving and mystical song. 

"As the Father, so the Son" is an excellent example of Skateland's fusion of pop genres. The track is mellow but exciting. His hypnotic voice contrasts beautifully with the fast-paced instrumental background; this song hits the ground running and never lets up. 

Another notable single from Skateland's discography is "Postcards!," a relatable and important message about the toxicity of social media and taxing comparisons. The track is sunny and gossamer, featuring indiscernible lyrics that contribute to the haze of the song. This song demonstrates the power of production quality when walking the line between bedroom and mainstream pop. The song was referred to by LADYGUNN as a "perfect piece that truly represents the essence of his musical distinctiveness." 

According to the artist, "Autobahn!" is "a dialogue about the hills and valleys of love and relationships." 

"The narrator begins the song with what he presumes is a breakup speech, but somehow along the way concedes that for better or worse, he will always love this person and that the tough parts of loving someone are what make it worth it in the end," he said.  

"Autobahn!" gives listeners a glimpse into the darker side of Skateland's style. His deeper vocals and musicality create a sense of urgency and eeriness, which is enhanced by the dramatic bridge that is emblematic of a choral ensemble in an acoustic cathedral. "Autobahn!" is a demonstration of the dichotomy of emotion, as well as a testament to Skateland's bold musical persona. 

The music video for "Autobahn!" is avant-garde and lavish. The video is equal parts performance quality and unusual storytelling, all of which happen within an aesthetically fascinating and cohesive environment. The video emphasizes the polarity in the song, in one instance, by having opposing characters engage in a tug-of-war game. 

Skateland has received praise from LADYGUNN, NPR's KUTX, Earmilk, Atwood Magazine and others. The artist has already performed multiple showcases at the coveted SXSW Festival and is slated to perform in this year's lineup. 

Skateland hopes his music is an inspiration for people who have yet to delve into their passions, both through his own experiences and the message he hopes his music spreads. 

"Fear of failure or a perceived lack of 'the right resources' are the biggest reason why people hesitate to try something," he said. "Instead of drawing those butterflies in your stomach, embrace them and use them to lift you up. I hope my music inspires people to do 'the thing,' whatever the thing is."

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu