Outside of Tony's Tavern located on State Street in Athens, Feb. 16, 2024.

Students recommend the best places to eat in Athens

There are many different food options in Athens for locals and students at Ohio University to enjoy, and sometimes it can be hard to pick the best place to eat. Each person has their own preference, and OU students are no different. 

Henning Elsass, a graduate student studying war and peace, recommends eating at the Star of India. 

Star of India is an Indian cuisine restaurant in Athens located at 128 W Union St. The restaurant commits to providing customers with the best Indian cuisine options and to satisfy hunger. It also aims to provide customers with a variety of options to ensure the best culinary experience. 

Elsass recommends Star Of India because of the delicious quality of the food. He said the restaurant also has a great environment that keeps encouraging him to return. 

“It tastes so good,” Elsass said. “The people there are really kind and friendly. It's just those two things that I love that groups so well together.”

Elsass said he likes everything he has tried on the menu, but if he had to pick his favorite menu item at Star of India, it would have to be the Makhni Chicken. Priced at $13.99, The menu item is a boneless Tandoori chicken cooked in butter and tomato gravy. It can be ordered with different spice levels. 

“All the local businesses are so good at having quality meals, but I get a curry thing (and) it's just so rich in color and taste,” Elsass said. “(I like) everything about it, and I want to eat it right now.”

Jack Butchko, a sophomore studying music education, believes Union Street Diner is the best option in Athens. 

Union Street Dinerlocated at 70 W Union St, is a restaurant dedicated to serving guests whether they’re having a late night out or if they just want a delicious meal to start the day. Its menu includes all of the traditional breakfast favorites, burgers, sandwiches and late-night favorites. 

Butchko recommends Union Street Diner because of the quality of the food and service he has received in the restaurant. He said he has never had a bad experience and has never had a bad plate of food. 

“The service is really good,” Butchko said. “The food has always been consistently good. (At) other places, they've been good, but the service has just not been the same.” 

While Butcko said he has never had a bad menu item at Union Street Diner, he does have a favorite item he likes to order. He recommends ordering two chocolate chip pancakes with a side of bacon. The price of his order adds up to around $9.00.

Eric Steere, a senior studying journalism, recommends eating at El Camino when looking for a place to eat with friends and family visiting him at school. 

El Camino is a Mexican cuisine restaurant located at 1017 E State St.

“It (the food) tastes so good and they're really fast too,” Steere said. “They're (the staff) just really nice people.” 

El Camino has a large selection of food on their menu, including vegetarian options. 

Steere recommended eating their Burrito Supreme, priced at $9.99, because it is something he gets all the time when he attends the restaurant. 

“It's (Burrito Supreme) got shredded chicken in it, and I love shredded chicken, especially the way they do it there,” Steere said. “It's covered in queso and it's so good. I freak out every time I have it.”

Whether you’re in the mood for some flavorful Indian cuisine, a late-night pancake or a filling burrito, there are many restaurants to enjoy in Athens.

@ashleypomplas 

ap125920@ohio.edu