Fresh Finds Friday: USHER is back before Super Bowl performance

Happy Friday! With the end of the week in sight, it is another week for new music. This past week, we have new music from Don Toliver, The Last Dinner Party and more.

Here are five new songs you should check out:

"Bandit" by Don Toliver

Houston rapper and Cactus Jack Records signee Don Toliver, known for hits such as "After Party" and "What You Need," returns with his latest single, "Bandit. " This is his first piece of music since early 2023. It flexes a Tame Impala sample from "One More Hour," trap drums and Toliver's iconic vocals, depicting a lifestyle of partying, drugs and money. The single is expected to be on Toliver's new project, which is said to be titled "Hardstone." 

The single also comes with a music video that features Toliver with a gang of bikers tearing up roads. The rapper is seen kicking it back with various women, using references to television shows such as “Sons of Anarchy” and “Mayans M.C.'' You can watch the video here.

"Ruin" by USHER, Pheelz

Usher is set to perform for the Super Bowl halftime show this Sunday, but he also released the tracks for his upcoming album “COMING HOME,” which drops Friday. To celebrate, he released a little snippet of his new single “Ruin” this past week, which features an Afrocentric touch featuring Nigerian singer-songwriter Pheelz. They come together with lyricism focused on smitten love: “Wake up in the morning / A different girl be on my line / Constantly be callin’ everyday, I still decline / You ruined me for everybody.” 

"The Feminine Urge" by The Last Dinner Party

The Last Dinner Party released "The Feminine Urge," which is among several tracks on its debut album, "Prelude to Ecstasy.''  The track is a fuse of electric-art pop of poetry and feminist themes with enviable melodic structures and fantastic choruses that the band is known for. In songs such as “Nothing Matters” and  “Burn Alive,” these elements shine through as well with lyrics "Here comes the feminine urge, I know it so well / To nurture the wounds that my mother held."

"Oh No :: He Said What?" by Nothing But Thieves

Nothing But Thieves' fourth album, "Dead Club City,'' became the band’s first to reach No. 1 in the charts. Among other great songs, it led to the anticipation of the new single, "Oh No :: He Said What?,” which contains bright atmospherics and 1980s synths. As for how it matches with the announcement of the deluxe edition of that same album, the band said to Rock Sound: "Like ‘Welcome To the DCC,’ the song is mostly from the point of view of those running ‘Dead Club City’ except now, they're panicked by the monster they've helped create."

"Dance Like No One’s Watching" by Gabby Barrett

Cowritten with Luke Combs, this heartwarming story about a father-daughter relationship comes from a place of uncertainty. Combs didn't know the biological sex of his soon-to-be child at the time and sent the song to Barrett, who had a daughter.

"I was sitting in the bathtub one day and heard my phone ding,“ she said in an interview with American Songwriter. "He knows I have a daughter, so it really resonated with me, and it's perfect."

You can also find the record on her sophomore album, "Chapter & Verse."

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu