Cold Corner: ‘The Zone of Interest’ is a disturbing historical drama

Film is the ultimate storyteller, especially when it comes to history. Textbooks and online articles pale compared to movies’ innate power to grapple audiences and transport them to a time and place, inaccessible beyond the big screen.

With the recent observation of International Holocaust Remembrance Day, many reflect upon the genocide that still impacts many people’s lives. The Third Reich’s vile atrocities sent ripples throughout the world; however, films keep this crime against humanity relevant, teaching new generations the story that shouldn’t be forgotten.

“The Pianist," “The Boy In the Striped Pajamas” and “Schindler’s List” are all renowned reminders of the Holocaust. From heartbreaking monologues to jarring silence, these films’ attributes display tragedy in a variety of ways.

The most recent addition to this subset of war movies is perhaps its most disturbing. “The Zone of Interest” is a 2023 production that tells the story of Nazi SS officer Rudolph Höss and his family: Auschwitz’s next-door neighbors.

Despite the proximity to history’s darkest corner, horrors are visually absent. Never does “The Zone of Interest” step into the inferno. It only dwells nearby. The horrors may be out of sight, but they’re not out of mind.

Audio is the only indicator of evil. Throughout the film, muffled screams, distant gunshots and crematory burnings linger behind Höss’ homestead. Nothing is presented at face value. Everything is inferred.

Pairing with sound, the visuals of “The Zone of Interest” are similarly striking. Its distinguished cinematography contains a combination of no close-ups, numerous distant coverages and eerie mise en scènes. All are key ingredients in this artistic brew. 

Furthermore, the characters in “The Zone of Interest” conduct daily life with indifference and commonality. Without the gray garb and infamous insignia, the activities inside the estate are almost too ordinary.

Rudolph Höss is presented as just another man doing his job. His family goes to school, does chores around the house and celebrates parties. 

However, they are not normal. They are Nazis. 

Characters discuss victims of genocide as mere footnotes. Clothing items from Auschwitz inmates are tried on like clothes at Macy’s, and their items are auctioned off like pieces at a pawn shop.

This paradoxical filmmaking from director Johnathan Glazer is superb and aims to reveal how evil lies within both the distant and domestic. 

All of these aspects not only feed into this film’s disturbing atmosphere but also its nuance. It isn't creative license or artistic choice, but innovative filmmaking. The juxtaposition alone in “The Zone of Interest” reveals its immense creativity.

“The Zone of Interest” may take the cake in several regards, but its distinctive nature limits its audience. For some, it is slow, methodical and boring. There isn’t an exciting hook or adventurous narrative. Instead of hastening over the ugly side of the Holocaust, it lingers.

Additionally, the brutal material is difficult to handle. This isn’t to hinder “The Zone of Interest” but to mention its minimal shortcomings. Through its reception, it has become more of the critic’s choice than the audience’s.

In a filmmaking sense, “The Zone of Interest” is a dodo amongst the flock. Its production included little lighting, stagnant and hidden cameras and extended spaces for acting. The phrase avant-garde describes every inch of this film.

“The Zone of Interest” is a breath of fresh air for cinema. It rivals many independent features such as “Past Lives,” “Godland,” “May December” and “Poor Things.” For its distinctive quirks, it rightfully earned five Academy Award nominations. 

Its display of horror is the total opposite of most historical dramas. Rather than boasting pure shock value, it tells a more ironically intimate story. 

Yes, “The Zone of Interest” humanizes Nazis, but it doesn’t put them on a pedestal. On the contrary, it reveals how the Holocaust was the work of humans, not distant monsters, which is the most disturbing reality of all. 

We shall never forget the disastrous depths of humanity and how it takes everything to flush out this darkness.

For all its movie-making marvels and powerful messages, “The Zone of Interest” is a must-see for any historical-minded moviegoer.

Eli Kaltenecker is a sophomore studying film at Ohio University. Please note that the opinions expressed in this column do not necessarily reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Eli about his article? email him at ek840321@ohio.edu.