Jess Selects: Favorite neo-soul classics

If you had to listen to one music genre for the rest of your life, what would it be? 

I know my answer: neo-soul. The term was coined in the late ‘90s and created icons and pioneers in the music industry. There are elements of R&B, jazz, funk and hip-hop with a mix of early soul music. It is a genre full of love, life and Black excellence.

Here are three songs from my favorite neo-soul artists:

‘Spring Summer Feeling’ by Jill Scott

“Jilly from Philly,” also known as Jill Scott, is a legend in the neo-soul genre. She began her career as a spoken word poet and fans can attest that her pen is raw and full of elegance and soul. She is beloved by many and has collaborated with The Roots, Erykah Badu, Anthony Hamilton and Lupe Fiasco. 

One simple, charming, and refreshing song is “Spring Summer Feeling.” This is track five from her sophomore album, “Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol. 2,” released in August 2004. The song captures listeners with an acoustic guitar, orchestral strings, whistles and keys. Scott’s voice comes in and listeners are taken to a place of serenity and relaxation. 

“Spring Summer Feeling” discusses feeling lost in emotions and the importance of a real connection with someone, not just the material things they can give you. The line, “It takes more than diamonds to woo me,” repeats throughout the song in a gentle voice. 

Jill Scott will always be a vital part of the neo-soul movement. Take time to indulge in her delightful discography and step into her spoken word.

‘Soldier’ by Erykah Badu

Badu is considered to be the “Queen of neo-soul” according to several music critics. Erykah Badu has a memorable and distinct voice, which makes her one of the most recognized soul music artists. Her spiritual and ethereal energy is felt by every listener.

In 2008, Badu released her fourth studio album, “New Amerykah Part One (4th World War).” It is a complex concept album that touches on struggles and sociopolitical factors within the Black community, such as poverty, institutional racism and drug addiction. Track five, “Soldier,” is a perfect example of this theme.

“Soldier” is a wake-up call that reminds listeners to keep pushing and working toward unity and change. Badu talks about different groups in society and the risks and sacrifices they go through. The heavy timbre throughout the song sets the mood of this hip-hop groove. It’s a great song about the importance of activism and shedding light on marginalized groups.

Erykah Badu is a one-of-a-kind artist who serves as a voice of reason and introspection for everyone.

‘Alright’ by Ledisi

Ledisi is someone that can truly say they have done it all. Her versatility and her powerhouse vocals have been around for over two decades. She has been nominated for 14 Grammys during her career and won her first Grammy in 2021 for Best Traditional R&B Performance. Ledisi is a true inspiration and an advocate for the arts.

After releasing two independent albums, she had her first major label debut “Lost & Found” in August 2007. It explores every emotion and touches the soul of all listeners. The fifth track in this album, “Alright,” provides a melody of reassurance and positivity. This song became her lead single and reached No. 45 on the U.S. Billboard Hot R&B chart.

“Alright” is a tune that can tug on anyone’s heartstrings. It’s a helpful reminder that no matter what you are going through, everything will work out in the end. Ledisi’s voice fills your ears with bliss and a syncopated beat that keeps you on track. When she sings the lyrics, “Everything is everything / It’s alright,” there is a glint of optimism and perseverance.

Ledisi is a name that people remember. She is a perfect piece in the neo-soul movement and has confirmed her place in the music industry.

To listen to all the songs that Jess Selects, you can listen to her playlist here.

@kidcalledjess

jg723322@ohio.edu