OU organizations make big plans for Sibs Weekend

Athens is sure to be bustling with action this weekend as siblings join their Bobcat siblings on campus. Every year, Ohio University puts together Sibs Weekend, an event where students’ siblings and families can come to visit them at the university. 

This year, Sibs Weekend happens to fall on National Tater Tot Day, and OU is taking advantage of this. The dining options at Baker University Center are offering specials involving tater tots. At Latitude 39, there is a loaded tater tot special for $10. At West 82, there is an offer for a free side of tater tots with the purchase of any sandwich. Latitude 39 will also host a family movie night Friday, but what it will play is to be determined. 

At the other dining halls on campus, Nelson Court and Boyd Dining Hall, siblings eat for free with an OU student’s meal swipe. The offer is available from breakfast on Friday, Feb. 2, to dinner on Sunday, Feb. 4. Saturday morning, both dining halls will host a special brunch for OU students and their siblings. 

Students and siblings interested in gaming can go to Scripps Hall for “Sibs Gaming Night.” On Friday, the Center for Student Engagement and Leadership is hosting a night of gaming from 5:30-7:30 p.m. There are two options for games: “Mario Kart” tournaments or “Fall Guys” duos. Entry to the event is free.

For the outdoorsy types, Outdoor Pursuits is holding a multitude of events to partake in. They are hosting a campfire, a day hike and the opportunity to zipline. The campfires will be held both Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. They cost $10 to attend, and there will be s’mores, stories and a night hike. 

Abby Lindley, a senior studying publication design, is the Outdoor Pursuits Trip supervisor and helped put together a day hike for students and families as well. Outdoor Pursuits will take a hike through Conkles Hollow. The event will begin at 10 a.m. and conclude by 2 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday. To attend the hike, it will cost $10 per person. Transportation to Conkles Hollow will be provided. 

“It's a really beautiful, very underrated area of Hocking Hills that we program in a lot,” Lindley said. “There's this beautiful rock formation, waterfalls and breathtaking views.”

Outdoor Pursuits is looking forward to having its zipline at the Ridges open for the weekend. The cost to ride the zipline is also $10 per person. Spots are available to zipline from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

The University Program Council, or UPC, is collaborating with the Dean of Students Office to put on an event called “GLOhio.” The event is a glow-in-the-dark party that will consist of roller skating, mini golf, pizza, inflatables and Lite-Brites. The event is completely free to Bobcats and their families and will take place Saturday from 1-4 p.m.

“We wanted to make sure that all ages can enjoy because people might have younger siblings who need an activity to do,” Claire Richards, President of the UPC and a junior studying biological sciences, said.

With all the events going on at the university, it is no surprise students are excited for siblings to visit. Hayley Mitchell, a freshman studying journalism, is looking forward to her sister visiting and wants to show her all OU has to offer. 

“I'm definitely taking her to Nelson Food Court for ice cream,” Mitchell said. “She and I both love ice cream. So we're definitely doing that.”

With so much to do at OU this weekend, there will never be a dull moment as families flood campus. There will be plenty of memories made among Bobcats and their siblings.

“I am very excited, this is (my sister’s) first time spending the night on campus,” said Mitchell. “I've been really trying to get her to come down here a lot sooner.”

@AnnessSoph0415

sa425522@ohio.edu