Grace Abroad: UK offers various different food, drink options

As someone who has always lived in the U.S., I am extremely comfortable with the food and drink brands around me. From American brands like McDonald's, Frito-Lay and Coca-Cola, it has been a subtle yet interesting cultural shock for me as a newcomer to the U.K. 

After being here for over a week, I noticed how differently this country brands its food and drinks. I have also seen a difference in taste and quality, with many brands promoting healthier serving sizes and ingredients.

Here are a few of the main product differences I've noticed while in the U.K.:

Chocolate and candies

When I arrived, I expected to see different brands of chocolate and candy, but I didn't realize how expansive that list would be. From brands like Cadbury, Cadbury Dairy Milk, Kinder and Maltesers, these chocolate makers have a special touch that is hard to find in the U.S. My favorites so far have been the Cadbury Dairy Milk Oreo and Biscoff flavors, as the chocolate tastes way richer. These chocolate bars start at £1.65 or $2.09.

Meanwhile, for those who like sweet and sour candy, there are so many options in the U.K. Other brands that were new to me were Drumstick, variations of Haribo and Sweetzone, all of which have flavors like tropical and extra sour that the U.S. does not always offer. You can find items like Drumstick starting at £0.99 or $1.25. 

Sodas

In the U.K., there are more soda flavors, even zero-calorie options. For example, stores carry brands like Coca-Cola in zero-calorie cherry and vanilla flavors. They also offer Pepsi Max in mango and orange flavors, an extension of Pepsi that Americans don't often get to try.

Another interesting discovery was the Diet Coke Sublime Lime. It tasted exactly like Sprite, which surprised me. I've noticed that flavors like lime usually imitate other soda flavors. Also, ordering a lemonade in the U.K. means a Sprite or its equivalent. 

Ordering in and out

Throughout the last several days, the restaurants I've been to are all completely server-less. As this is becoming more of a reality all around the world due to new technologies, it was another shock to see that you can order from most restaurants using just an app or a QR code. The app I've been using is called Wetherspoons.

Essentially, the app tracks your location and finds restaurants where you can order food and drinks without a server. You enter your payment information and table number, and your food and drinks are brought to you in 20 to 30 minutes. It was super efficient, affordable and convenient, proving that the U.K. definitely is ahead in terms of the eating-out experience.

Meanwhile, ordering from home is quite different in the U.K., as the U.S. has more options on delivery apps such as DoorDash and Uber Eats. In the U.K., you can only pick from about 10 restaurants based on your location, while in the U.S., there is more variety. While this isn't a crucial downfall, it is more time-consuming to find a nearby and open restaurant, as certain restaurants close earlier.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu