Daphne’s Dispatch: Why is there an age requirement of 25 to book on Airbnb?

Why does Airbnb have a minimum age requirement of 25 to book rentals?

As college students prepare for spring break vacations, finding places to stay should be an exciting part of planning. This year I planned my second “grown-up” Spring Break trip with my friends, and finding places to stay while only 20 years old has been extremely difficult. 

Many rentals on Airbnb have the “25 and older rule,” which states the renter must be at least 25 years of age to book the rental. The age requirement for rentals on Airbnb was put into place in 2020 amid COVID-19 to prevent super-spreader events.

Airbnb has responded to multiple instances in which house parties have been linked to fatalities, which eventually led to this new policy. Its aim was also used to reduce, “unauthorized house parties” booked locally by renters under the age of 25.

As this age requirement was introduced to promote safety, it stalls business for rental hosts, especially when spring breakers are hunting for a place to stay.

Within Airbnb’s “Community Disturbance Policy,” which is provided in the terms of service renters agree to when completing the booking, it clearly states disruptive gatherings are not allowed, regardless of size. Why is the minimum booking age 25 when house parties are not allowed at any age?

In case you were unable to find bookings through Airbnb because you are under the age of 25, here are a few solutions for the future.

Know your destination. To better manage your time when booking vacation spots online, keep your spring break destination limited to two cities. For example, looking specifically in Destin, Florida, allows you to look deeper into rentals.

Reach out to hosts. Airbnb’s hosts can be directly messaged by potential renters for questions or concerns in the booking process. Communication goes a long way and disclosing to a potential host that you and other guests are under the age of 25 can be negotiated through the host’s discretion. 

Look for local rental companies in vacation spots, as they understand the spring break rush season and know a younger demographic will be in town. Reaching out to local companies, unlike large digital ones gives vacationers a better chance at comradery and understanding from a business end.

It is important to understand why platforms put these policies in place to promote safety, but as accessible as Airbnb is to plan vacations, hiccups like these take the fun out of planning. If you are still younger than 25, I hope these solutions help you plan vacations in the future.

Daphne Graeter is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Daphne know by emailing her at dg422421@ohio.edu.