Daphne’s Dispatch: The internal debate of studying or social life

As a college student at a so-called “party school,” I often have an internal debate about whether to prioritize school work or my social life. Ohio University has so much to offer in both regards and contributes to this dispute, but it doesn’t make it easy. I can’t be the only one who has this internal debate, right?

I recognize the considerable privilege that comes with being able to attend college and acknowledge that it is not a choice for some. Here, I will highlight the internal debate that has come with my two years attending a university. 

The hardest part has to be having to stay in to cram for an exam while your friends are getting to go out on the town. I struggle even more with this when I think of how fast my first two years have already gone. 

Reflecting on my freshman year, I immediately think about the large social scene that is OU. I felt like I had to go to all the events and say yes to every invite. 

Freshman year is pivotal to your college experience. You meet some of your lifelong friends, maybe your future bridesmaids and you also learn what to not prioritize over your schoolwork. 

Kya Hunter, a freshman studying marketing, shared how college affected her social life.

“In high school, I wasn’t really exposed to going out and all of that,” Hunter said. “It was very much a culture shock.” 

Hunter said her first semester was tougher than her second and she has a better understanding of what to expect for the years to come.

Hunter said the thrust of a large social scene affected the balance of school and her social life.

“Coming from a small town to this ‘party central’ definitely didn’t do me good,” Hunter said. “I was very distracted.” 

Reflecting on my first two years, I first think of the impact of developing good habits when it came to my schoolwork. Did it take me a while to stick to my habits? Yes. Looking back, though, developing these habits has given me discipline and has truly helped me prioritize my time.

“I do get bad FOMO if my friends are out and I’m not,” Molly Mckelvey, a senior studying psychology, said. 

Mckelvey also said that she took harder classes sooner rather than later so she could prioritize her final year. 

“I took the bulk of my harder classes my freshman, sophomore and junior years so that I could have more of a laid-back senior year,” Mckelvey said. “I used to be someone that would study more in the evening, but now I’ve changed my schedule to (study) more in the morning and day, so I can get everything done, (and) then I can hang out with my friends after classes and go out.”

The college experience can look different for everyone. Whether you enjoy going out and spending the weekend on Court Street or you love your major and want to fully indulge yourself in the books, OU allows for both, and the internal debate we experience is normal. 

Daphne Graeter is a sophomore studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Daphne know by emailing her at dg422421@ohio.edu