Signs on the door of the ACEnet business center in Nelsonville, Ohio where the annual Seed Potato garden giveaway was held, March 20, 2024.

80,000 pounds of potatoes distributed in giveaway

Community Food Initiatives’ annual Potato Seed Giveaway works to combat food insecurity one spud at a time.

During the giveaway, Community Food Initiatives, or CFI, distributed 80,000 pounds of potatoes as part of its larger mission to foster access to equitable, inclusive and thriving local food systems.

Drew Ogg, an AmeriCorps VISTA serving with CFI, said the purpose of the Potato Seed Giveaway was twofold.

“We're giving them food ready to eat, but also empowering them to grow their own food, hopefully leading to them developing skills and gardening and just empowering them really to be able to rely on themselves,” Ogg said. 

Baking potatoes are large vegetables ready for consumption. Seed potatoes are small vegetables that have sprouts growing out of them. In order to grow more potatoes, a farmer or gardener cuts the potato at the sprout and plants it in the ground. With some time and care, one seed can produce anywhere from three to six additional potatoes.

Ogg said potatoes are easy to grow and are high in calories, making them the perfect plant for CFI’s mission.

“When we're tackling things like food insecurity or hunger, this is certainly a great vegetable,” Ogg said. 

Volunteers and employees set up at the ACEnet Nelsonville Business Center. March 19, the first day of the giveaway, potatoes were primarily given to large organizations. Ogg said box trucks traveled from Kentucky, West Virginia, Indiana and Pennsylvania for the event.

“A lot of them have their own garden programs, things like that,” Ogg said. “Some of them serving over 200 families, community gardens everywhere.”

After the first day of the giveaway, a total of 50,000 pounds of potatoes were distributed. Staff worked to fill large vehicles with 50-pound bags of potatoes.

“That was more just loading giant pallets of potatoes,” Ogg said. “We're talking 5000-pound orders of them, so it was really exciting.”

CFI distributed the remaining potatoes to community members March 20.

In years past, CFI was left with a surplus of potatoes. However, Ogg noted this year was busier and more successful than in the past. The group gave away every last potato.

He attributed the success of the event to a hard-working group of employees and volunteers, including Shan Kelmens, an Appalachian Accessible Food Network AmeriCorps service member, and Tessa Wieneke, an Appalachian Accessible Food Network access coordinator. The two worked tirelessly during the giveaway to move bags and coordinate distribution.

Each employee or volunteer finds motivation in different aspects of their work. For Kelmens, it’s all about connecting with the community. 

“It's fun to meet your neighbor and be able to talk to them (and) get to know what everyone else’s story is,” Kelmens said. “I also just like passing out food.”

Wieneke attributes her motivation to a passion for holistic food support.

“A lot of it is supporting local farms and supporting environmentally friendly aspects,” Wieneke said. “So, a lot of it is like, climate resilience. That matters a lot to me.”

While the Potato Seed Giveaway was a huge success, CFI’s efforts are extensive. The organization’s efforts range from a community garden program to a Veggie Van and the Discovery Kitchen Project. 

“This is our Donation Station Program, which is focused on just putting food in the hands of people,” Ogg said. “This is a small part, but we're certainly just excited to be able to give this to the community.”

ab532721@ohio.edu 

@abbyblosee