Finstas takeover the ‘make Instagram casual’ movement

Instagram is one of the most globally downloaded apps of all time, and many users have either public or private accounts. For some, a public account is used to share photos of life events, memorable trips and relationship statuses. Others prefer a private account and use the space to post more "authentic" personalized content.

Private "fake" Instagrams, now famously referred to as "Finstas," allow users to post things that may not fit the "usual" Instagram aesthetic. For example, many celebrities have begun to use Finstas to post more intimately. Musicians like Drake and Lorde have become staples of this phenomenon, going under names like @quilteddiamonds and @onionringsworldwide. 

In 2011, "Finstagram" was the first term to describe accounts users created to share content with selected groups, typically their closest friends. The term has maintained steady traction but reemerged online in 2021 after a U.S. Senate hearing.

The hearing targeted Instagram for its mental health effects on teenage users, with Senator Richard Blumenthal asking Antigone Davis, Facebook's global head of safety, questions about the app's intentions. In a viral question, he asked, "Will you commit to ending Finsta?" 

Surprisingly, the question only sparked more interest in the trend. As Instagram became more "casual," through photo dumps and filterless photos, users started testing out Finstas again. During the COVID-19 pandemic, users on apps like TikTok urged people to "make Instagram casual," instead of curating perfect snippets of their lives. 

Finstas allowed users to make a whole new identity. People picked who they wanted to see their account, usually keeping it to a small circle of friends. According to the INEQE Safeguarding Group, young people were particularly interested in Finstas because they provided more authenticity, connection, anonymity, freedom and privacy. 

Even though Finstas have encouraged authenticity, they also have several downfalls. Finstas can foster exclusionary environments, especially if users block certain people from accessing their accounts. In an article by Kai Franco, the writer interviewed Finsta users about their experiences, with exclusion being one of the most prominent side effects of Finstas.

"Sometimes, people still use code names while talking about other people, so you think it's you (they're talking about in private), even when it's not," said a user named Candy. "Meanwhile, others said Finstas can be harmful projections of people's personalities and values.”

"I think it gives people an excuse to just be unhinged all they want without regard for the consequences," said another user named Marielle. "Like yes, it's your place to be 'unfiltered' but that does not mean you can use it for your unnecessary hate, problematic views or possibly triggering content. It becomes an extension to indulge yourself in a mindset that is pretty concerning."

Finstas are often used to post explicit content. In an article by LearnSafe, writer Kendal Harris said that teenagers use Finstas to post content they wouldn't feel comfortable showing their parents or other adult figures. This can be dangerous, as photos and videos can still be recorded and reposted by other individuals, and private information can fall into the wrong hands.

In 2018, University of Alabama student Harley Barber posted a video on her Finsta account saying a racial slur. The university and her sorority, Alpha Phi, quickly found the video on Twitter, gaining mass attention overnight. LearnSafe encourages Finsta users to be selective about what they share online because once it's on the internet, it's out there forever.

If Finstas are used sparingly, they can be outlets for expression and protection. According to Kicksta, many users resort to Finstas to avoid the stress of posting regularly. By posting something that comes naturally to your mind or a funny anecdote from the day, Finstas relieve the pressure of appealing to a large audience. In these spaces, not every post has to be something extraordinary.

Another reason users make their accounts private is to hide posts from family members or acquaintances. People often make their Finsta usernames anonymous, like celebrity accounts, so there's an added level of protection from people recognizing you. This decision can be dicey, as employers can still find Finsta accounts. While they likely won't access the content, the account owner could still be probed on their intent in the future.

Lastly, Finstas can help users prioritize lightheartedness and personal connections rather than like and comment counts. Having an account that only your close friends can access may increase the number of positive interactions we see online.

As for the future of Instagram, Finstas will not go away any time soon, especially as the more laid-back approach to using the app continues. While there are many pros and cons to using a private Instagram versus a public one, Finstas should still be used with the same caution and understanding. 

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu