Fresh Finds Friday: Singles released from folk, alternative scenes

Happy Friday! With the end of the week in sight, it is another week with new music. This past week, we have new music from Cage The Elephant and FLETCHER.

Here are five new songs you should check out:

"Overcompensate" by Twenty One Pilots

The Columbus duo Twenty One Pilots returns with a new single, "Overcompensate." The track opens with hyperhouse and techno instrumental sounds. It gradually swings into fast-paced drum work with an atmospheric ambiance to slower and familiar rap cadences, backed by a music video you can watch here. Twenty One Pilots also announced that their forthcoming project, "Clancy,' is set to be released May 17

"Somewhere Between" by Dylan Gossett

Dylan Gossett's breakthrough single, "Coal," highlighted his expressive storytelling. Now, he continues to show off his skill with his new song, "Somewhere Between." The song describes the days and nights on trains. In an interview with Holler, Gossett explains, "I watched a video of this guy that vlogged his life on trains … He was never in the same place … I thought it was fascinating, and I wanted to write a song about it." For most of this year, Gossett has been on tour with Noah Kahan.

"Doing Better" by FLETCHER

Fletcher's latest record, "Doing Better," dives into a journey of self-examination. It starts with a slow-paced beat and drops into a more synth-heavy conclusion of trying to find her center, a battle with insecurities and encouraging the listeners to examine their own biases and insecurities, which makes up the overall message of her forthcoming project "In Search of the Antidote." The album is set to release March 22.

"Out Loud“ by Cage The Elephant

Six-piece Kentucky rock band Cage The Elephant announced its new album "Neon Pill" with its new single "Out Loud." The song is an emotional centerpiece with a stripped-back approach to instrumentation. Frontman Matt Shultz wrote "Out Loud" as a coping method after the passing of his father. "My dad's the reason we discovered music in the first place," said Shultz in an interview with NME. "When he died, 'Out Loud' just poured out of me." Cage The Elephant’s album, "Neon Pill," is set to be released May 17.

"Sticks & Stones" by Joyner Lucas, Conway the Machine

The "I'm Not Racist" rapper Joyner Lucas recently teamed up with rapper Conway the Machine in Times Square to film a music video for their new single "Sticks & Stones”; the video portrays the duo on a walk in Times Square backed by a classic '90s hip-hop breakbeat as the rappers rap about overcoming adversity, and overall criticism and betrayal play on the sticks and stones metaphor. While sticks and stones may break their bones, they've overcome the sticks and the stones in their own success stories. The long-awaited Joyner Lucas album, "Not Now, I'm Busy," is set to be released March 22.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu