"The Method" takes extreme dedication

There’s always a method to one actor’s madness. Also referred to as “The Method,” Method acting is a technique coined by Russian actor and director Konstantin Stanislavski, who encouraged actors to use personal experiences to evoke authenticity in their acting performances. 

In the early 1930s, Lee Strasberg, known as the “father of Method acting,” expanded the philosophy into what is now perceived as “the Method.” According to the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute, the process is “a systematic approach to training the living material that is the actor’s ‘instrument,’ as well as a means for preparing a role.”

Strasberg instructed performers to relieve body tension and behave on a blank slate. Then, the actor can filter out the world around them to replicate the feelings of their role. Overall, the actor is methodically trying to embrace their physical, emotional and mental self, resulting in an in-depth psychological grounding within a particular character. 

“The Method” has become controversial, as some actors have gone to distinct and dangerous extremes for a part. From losing a severe amount of weight to harming cast and crew members, performers have taken the technique seriously for a long time. 

One of the most prolific Method actors is Daniel Day-Lewis, whose consistent use of the approach has nearly cost him his life. While filming “Gangs of New York,” Day-Lewis refused to wear a winter coat and caught pneumonia, as he demanded to stay in the film’s period-specific clothing. 

Day-Lewis even subjected the film crew to his acting, as they were forced to feed and carry Day-Lewis while he was immersed in playing a character with cerebral palsy. The Academy Award-winning actor has many more instances of intense preparation, including several instances of self-confinement and weight loss. 

Al Pacino is also known to be incredibly immersive in his film roles. In the 1992 film “Scent of a Woman,” Pacino prepared for the role of a blind man by reportedly attending institutions for the blind and training his eyes to defocus. In doing so, he fell and injured his eye during production. But in the end, he won a Golden Globe Award and an Oscar for Best Actor for the role. 

Robert De Niro is another Method staple. He once met up with one of his stalkers to help him prepare for the same type of part. In Martin Scorsese’s “Cape Fear,” De Niro spent thousands of dollars to have his teeth sharpened to appear more frightening and then paid even more to have them repaired. 

In an interview with the Associated Press, Joaquin Phoenix discussed his experimental preparation for his cathartic role as DC’s Joker. Phoenix lost 52 pounds and withstood insecurities about his acting methods and his constant inability to relax. Similar to the actors before him, he won an Oscar in his most dedicated role.

In another Joker role, Jared Leto reportedly only answered to “Mister J” while on the Suicide Squad set. It was rumored that he would also pull several pranks on co-stars, including gifting co-star Margot Robbie a live rat, but Leto has since denied those claims. Leto publicly joked about the art form while presenting at the 2024 Golden Globe Awards. 

Now, after a long, persistent history of extremely dedicated actors, many within the film industry are either in support or opposition to the Method more than ever before. 

Jeremy Strong, known for his award-winning role on HBO’s "Succession", has been excessively open about his Method acting journey, though he doesn’t label himself as one. In a profile with The New Yorker, he discussed how he has prepared for certain roles like social activist Jerry Rubin in “The Trial of the Chicago 7” by asking to be sprayed with actual tear gas to endure the same experiences of Rubin.

Brian Cox, fellow “Succession” co-star of Strong, criticizes the art form. Cox stated, “It’s a particularly American disease, I think, this inability to separate yourself off while you’re doing the job.”

Other actors who do not implicate the acting technique have expressed the difficulties of working with Method actors. Martin Freeman spoke out about making “Man on the Moon” with Jim Carrey, who deeply immersed himself in playing performer Andy Kaufman. Freeman stated that Carrey’s demeanor on set was “self-aggrandizing, selfish and narcissistic,” and that the Method is “pretentious nonsense and highly amateurish.” 

Many refer to Natalie Portman as being a notable Method actress, as her dedicated ballet training for her performance in “Black Swan” earned her an Academy Award. However, the actress has shown to be against “The Method,” saying “I’ve gotten very into roles, but I think it’s honestly a luxury that women can’t afford,” in an interview with The Wall Street Journal.

“The Method” is only growing with the influx of biopic films in recent years. During Austin Butler’s time portraying the “King of Rock ‘n’ Roll” Elvis Presley, he did not see his family for three years while filming. Then, long after the film finished production, the “Elvis” actor could not get rid of the icon’s southern drawl accent. In an interview on “The Graham Norton Show,” Butler revealed that he has been trying to eliminate the accent. 

Butler and Strong are contemporary contributors to Strasberg’s approach in their latest roles, which is why “The Method” is gaining profuse media attention. Although many actors, actresses and filmmakers oppose the Method, the art form is still prevalent and deeply embedded in theatrical culture. 

Loganhumphrey_

lh129720@ohio.edu